91st (98th) Argyll Highland Regiment

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

I have been looking for Napoleonic War era records from the British Military that might verify that Dr. David Livingstone's Uncles John, Charles, Duncan and Donald served in the military during the Napoleonic Wars. Apart from the Chelsea Pensioner records which list some Livingstones who may have served during the Napoleonic Wars there is a 1794 list of the 91st Argyll Highlanders that was formed in 1791 with Lt. Colonel Duncan Campbell of Lochnell as Commander. Among the list of enlisted men there were two privates Duncan and John Livingston. While a significant number of the enlisted men were from Argyll County it is also noted that some were recruited from Glasgow so it is possible that these could have Livingstons either from Argyll or Dr. Livingstone's kin living in the Blantyre/Glasgow area. He did have an Uncle John and Duncan Livingstone. It would be in any event worth tracking down any information the British Archives would have on these two Livingstons that served in the 98th which was later renamed in 1798 the 91st Argyll Highlanders. They saw action in Portugal in 1808 and Spain in 1812 during the Napoleonic War. Dr. Livingstone's Uncle Charles was said to have died during the war, but there could military papers for the others. regards, Donald
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Definitely worth looking into, Donald!
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kyle, Well actually the afterthought occured to me that even the eldest Uncle John Livingston born in 1777 might have a tad bit young to have been on the 1794 list and may have joined a few years later with when the 91st became the 98th. In any event i suspect other Livingstons would have recruited after 1798 when the Argyll Highlanders went by the name of the 98th regiment. While I dont know that there is a surviving regimental list for 1798 and into the early 1800's they may have been recruited into the 98th after 1798 and fought in Spain and Portugual. Or perhaps they served in the Navy or another REgiment. The Argyll Highlanders are certainly an excellent place to start because of the fact that not only Livingstones from Argyll would have recruited into this regiment but it also mentioned that Glasgow residents also ended up in this regiment. In any event even if there are no military record for Dr. Livingstones Uncles in the 91st or the later 98th Argyll Highlanders it would be usefull to someday to make a list of all the Livingstons or at least the highland Livingstons who served with the 91st and 98th regiment during the Napoleonic Wars. I have gone through the online list of the Chelsea Hospital Pensioners list which had a few Highland and lowland area Livingstones, none that I recognised though some were from Argyll. I think that list from the BRtish Archives is a work in progess and that there will hopefully be oher Livingstons added to the list including Angus Livingston who settled in Cape Breton around 1816 who was a Napoleonic War Veteran and believed to be on the origina Chelsea Pensioner list. THere are other military records. If your lucky they give an age and description of the soldier and his place of origin. I dont think they generally have much in the way of detail. I think that one of the earliest Livingston settlers in Upper Canada a Daniel Livingston served with Frasers Highlanders at Quebec 250 years ago this year. I have check my notes again. Interestingly General Wolfe was at the Battle of Culloden a decade earlier and encouraged the later recruitment of his former Jacobite highland foes because he was impressed by their courage and tenacity on the battlefield. One of Wolfes highland officers in the Quebec campaing was Simon Fraser who had been a Jacobite officer during 1745 Rebellion and was the son of the executed Lord Lovat, Chief of Clan Fraser. In the book "Canada A People's History" there is an account from a journal of an Acadian soldier, Joseph Trahan on the French side at the Battle for Quebec in 1759 who experienced first hand the highland soldiers: "I can remember the Scotch highlanders fly wildly after us with streaming plaids,bonnets and large swords like so many infuriated demons over the brow of the hill."
Richard Hartman

Post by Richard Hartman »

I have looked at the Regimental Description and Succession Books (W.O. 25) for the 91st.
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Richard, This is a trove of potentially useful information to everyone out there.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Richard, Thank-you for your research contribution. Greatly appreciated. Yes hopefully muster rolls and other military related information for the Argyll Fencibles from 1759 onward might contain info on Livingstons who served. Also there was the 74th Argyll Highlanders formed in 1777 during the American Revolution. They probably fought in the south, Carolinas and Virginia. I wonder if this regiment was present at Yorktown? From the Chelsea Pensioner lists online at the British Archives and the the information you found it is clear that a number of highland Livingstons served during the Napoleonic war period.
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

According to this website: http://www.revwar75.com/crown/foot4.htm BF-74 74th Regiment of Foot (Argyll Highlanders) Formed [Dec 1777] Arrived New York [1779] Sent to Halifax Sent to Penobscot, ME [Jul 1779] Returned to Scotland [1783] It doesn't seem like they would have been present, then, but between Maine and Yorktown, I don't see a description, so I'm not sure. For sure, the 76th were: BF-76 76th Regiment of Foot (MacDonell's Highlanders) Formed [Aug 1777] Arrived New York [Aug 1779] Sent to Virginia [Apr 1781] Surrended at Yorktown [Oct 1781] And the 71st: 71st Regiment of Foot (Fraser's Highlanders)
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

More on this site: http://www.newworldcelts.org/18th_century.htm http://www.members.shaw.ca/caren.secord ... round.html Looks like they were not at Yorktown, I would be pretty confident. K=
Richard Hartman

Post by Richard Hartman »

I like www.britishbattles.com for listings of the order of battle (units that were present).
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kyle, The batallion companies in 1779 were at Bagaduce Maine, but the detached flank companies of the 74th with the 1st grenadiers and Ist Light Infantry Battalions were in South Carolina between 1779 and 1780 when the British captured Charleston and were involved in the Virginia Campaign in which Cornwallis and his army were forced to surrender at Yorktown in 1781. Some companies of the 74th were held prisoner at Fort Frederick, Maryland and released in 1783. This according to the 74thhighlandregiment.com regards, Donald