Livingstone Brook, Antigonish County, Nova Scotia

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hello all: A brook which flows into Georges Bay.
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi Roberta I did see this in my travels, but discarded it because it was at least 4 years before Colin of PEI was born. But it is interesting that all those names are very ingrained in my family history. I was wondering if there was a connection too. Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Roberta and Barry, Well you know there were so many Livingstons from Mull, Kilninian and Kilmore Parish in particular that it is not entirely surprising they use the same names and some could be cousins of some sort or another. Beyond that many of these names are common to clansmen in Mull and throughout Western Argyll. Interesting Roberta mentioned that her ancestor John Livingstone who was married to Christy McPhee named his land grant "Staffa" after a scenic but unpopulated Island around Mull. It was also the name of at least one Schooner that picked up emigrants in 1812, my ancestor Miles Livingston for one, and probably operated out of the Tobermory port in the early 1800's. Perhaps John had some connection to that Schooner or another boat with the same name. There wasnt much to connect with the actual place "Staffa" as it was largely uninhabitable, but admired for its scenery apparently. Further looking in my notes I noticed that old Cape Breton Pioneer Angus Livingston if I am not mistaken named his farm "Kilninian" after Kilninian and Kilmore Parish. So I assume if I have this correct that he lived to be sure in Kilninian somewhere there in Mull. Seems likely that some of the Presbyterian Livingstons that settled in Inverness County and elsewhere in Cape Breton could be related to those in the rest of Nova Scotia included Antigonish COunty. The two original Catholic pioneer families that we know of consisting of John Livingston and Isabel McDonald of Judique, Inverness County and John Livingston and Christy McPhee of Low Point/Lingan in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia could also be related to PResbyterian families closely or perhaps as more distant relations. This we arent at this point certain about. There are no doubt "other" Livingston families that arrived in the early 1800's that we have not mentioned. I have some other names, some of which may be connected to those we have mentioned or perhaps they are not. In any event I am keeping track of them or tryin to and hopefully in time someone will present us with information on a Livingston pioneer in Nova Scotia and PEI we know nothing about. In the mean time we are all becoming I think a bit more knowledgeable about these Livingstone pioneers as time goes on. And how interesting these Cape BReton Livingston pioneers were. They found a new home and adapted their old gaelic culture and customs to the this beautiful new world, with it's rocky and scenic sea coast, perhaps not so different from parts of Mull they left behind.
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald; Yes I believe Staffa to be un-inhabitable.