Lakevale, Antigonish County, Nova Scotia

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Good day all; Lakevale, a locality north of Antigonish.
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Roberta, John and Allan Livingston were two sons of pioneer Malcolm Livingstone of Antigonish County. Dont know if these are the same, but it not probably kin. Back to Inverness COunty, Cape Breton, Nova ScotiaI think Dr. St. Clair stated that the Mull River-Whycocomaugh Livingstons had died out in the area, but that there are still Judique Livingstons nearby at Judique on the west coast of Cape Breton. Fortunately for Barry if in fact he is related to these Whycocomagh Livingstons which seems to be the case, Dr. St.Clair has for more than 50 years researched them and knew some of the oldtimers who in turn knew earlier Livingston oldtimers in the Mull River-Whycocomagh area. I have informed him of the Canadian Livingston project I am working on in conjunction with other interested clan society folks. For With our Cape Breton and PEI contacts now established I am hoping that we can in time make contact with East Coast Livingstons including those related to your family. I invision that we are close to fully launching an Atlantic Canada Livingston research group with you, Jewel, Barry and other Livingstons of Nova Scotia and PEI origin building upon the groundwork we have done.
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi Everyone My mom's cousin, Boyd Livingstone, was a director of the Belfast Historical Society, here on PEI. He is the gentleman who had researched our family before I started this endeavor. I am also related to the Ross clan and have roots with the Selkirk settlers, and the arrival of the Polly ship. There are still many Livingstons on PEI and the name is very common here. Since my descendents appear to be from Cape Breton, there is much work here in sorting out the family history. I know many of the members of the Belfast Historical Society, and have considered meeting with them. I live in the Belfast community here on PEI. We attend the Belfast Highland games here every summer too. Scottish history is very much still a part of our community. I didn't realize that the Livingstone's in Whycocomagh are no more, from what Donald reported, which makes this not only about the PEI Livingstones, but also we are possibly what is left of the Whycocomagh Livingstones as well. That is very interesting. Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, I will check back with him on the details but I that was my understanding from the information he sent me regarding the Mull River-Whycocomagh. Is Boyd still living? If any of these Livingstons you mentioned are still living, perhaps you could mention to them about this forum as we are currently discussing ways to get more Livingstons and kin out there coming to the website and participating with the forum discussion group. We all appreciate your sharing the information and research on your Livingston ancestors and would welcome other PEI and Nova Scotia Livingstones should you be in touch with any. The society also is involved with a DNA project with a large number of Livingstons world wide who have submitted Livingston DNA for genetic comparisons with many other Livingstons. As so many families in PEI and Nova Scotia originated from Mull a comparison of the test results will help reveal the specific highland origins of these Livingstons. We would appreciate any help you could give us locating PEI Livingstons through the Belfast Historical Society or any other contacts you may have at Charlottetown. I am making an effort to become knowledgeable about Livingstone pioneer settlers in Canada, beginning with Ontario, Manitoba, PEI and Nova Scotia. Along the way I have had the privilege making contact with some very knowledgeable family research people whose ancestors hail from these provinces. Through the process of sharing information we have all started to learn a great deal about Livingston origins in Canada. We have made some efforts as a forum group to focus research efforts on Iowa Livingstons as they are connected a pioneer Manitoba Livingston family and a few other states where the Bachuil Livingstone settled but there needs to be more research into the US Livingstons who originate from three distinct groups: Lowland (Callendar Livingstons), Ulster Scots and Highland. As it turns out the Ulster Scot Livingstons that originated from County Down are apparently descended from the aristocratic Callendar Livingston, so in many cases I suspect the Ulster Scots and Lowland Scots are connected but what we are talking about here is where they originated as Livingston family groups just before they left for America. The Ulster Scots migration in the 1700's to America before the Revolution was quite large and they were predominately presbyterian and supporters of the George Washington and the Revolution. The Highlanders particularly those who settled in the southern states such as North Carolina, many of them of Jacobite family origins were ironically supporters of the Hanover King George III during the Revolution and many of them steadfastly refused to join with the rebels. Some of these highlander were Loyalists that came up to Canada, but I understand there are some highland Livingstons possibly still in the Carolinas and other southern states.In North, South Carolina, Georgia and Virginia we may well have an significant number of Livingstons of both Lowland, Scotch Irish and Highland origin. In New York State there was an old Livngston family also connected to the old aristocratic Callendar Livingston family and there appears to be numerous decendants still living in NEw YOrk State and elsewhere including those who are participants in the Livingston DNA project. Some of these US families may have a history of their family origins and be aware of which group they originate from, others may not. Hopefully more research can happen in this area to bring greater participation among our American clan folks.
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald; I did a 411.ca and found 20 Livingstone families in the Whycocomagh area.
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Donald I wonder if Dr. St.Clair knew Harrison Lincoln son of William and Sarah (McLean) Livingstone.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta, Well I guess he meant just one family of the Livingstones in that area had died out. I will go back check that info and ask him about that. There does seem to quite a few Livingstones in the Whycocomaugh area as you say. You would think they would be kin for the most part. Thanks again for that update. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta, That name has not come up, but I will mention it. I have information on a branch or the original Mull River family decended from a John Livingston and his wife Catharine Campbell or Mary Campbell. regards, Donald