Highland vs Lowland

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Kyle2 MacLea

Highland vs Lowland

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

I'll look forward to hearing more, Barry! Kyle=
Kyle2 MacLea

Highland Clan MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

A good comprehensive list, Donald! From looking at it, I get the impression that the transition may have begun in the 1500s and continued through the 1600s but was pretty much complete by the end of the 1600s. For a couple of the nobles listed earlier, it is hard to tell. Kyle=
Barry Judson

Highland vs Lowland

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi Kyle Well I did find lots of reading on deeds with "John Teague Archibald McLea" in them. He was from St. John's, Newfoundland and I didn't really have time to read everything, but he had huge landholdings in Lot 3, PEI. Some of the transactions were as much as 2500 acres, from him. The documents are hard to understand sometimes, and the documents on the microfilm sometimes are not the best quality. I'm sure with more time I could piece together the story. There must have been nearly 10 documents, so probably 15 pages to read. Sorry Kyle but I will see next time if I can find more detail. It appeared he may have been in business, or was someone from St. John's by the name of John Boyd, or Boyd John. Someone may know the story behind this. I also found an obituary for Honorable Kenneth McLea who died at Richmond Hill, and was a native of Greenock in his 62nd yr. The paper was dated July 11th, 1862. Barry
Kyle2 MacLea

Highland vs Lowland

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Thanks, Barry. The Baltimore MacLeas passed through Newfoundland and New Brunswick, I believe, on their way to the US.