McConley Family

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Teresa Allen Klocke

McConley Family

Post by Teresa Allen Klocke »

I saw an old post from Mark McConley. I descend from Daniel McConley of Appin, Argyll. Are the McConley's part of Clan McLea/Livingstone?
Kyle2 MacLea

McConley Family

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Let me check into this, Teresa. Because McOnlea --> MacLea (--> Livingstone), it is certainly possible that McConleys could be mixed up with McLeas in various places, especially given your Argyll origins. I have, in the DNA project, a couple of weak matches with McColly/McCauley type names, and I would also find it possible that the McConleys could be in there too. I'll check into Mark and get back to you. Kyle=
Canadian Livingstone

McConley Family

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Kyle, This is interesting. It could be a spelling variation of McConley though I would agree with Rob Livingston's assessment from October 2005 that one would assume many of the McConleys in America to be mostly of Irish origin. In fact the ones in the 19th century British census records I noticed appear to be largely of Irish origin and having settled in the industrialized areas of Birmingham in England and Lanarkshire in Scotland in the 19th century. I could find none in the highlands at this time, however that being said there were 18th century Appin McOnleas who must have settled in America before the Livingstone name change in the mid 1700's and perhaps a few after that who left Appin and retained their old name. The McConley spelling makes one suspect Daniel was of the Irish family, but the existence of a Bible connecting this McConley to Appin certainly give much weight to the notion that Daniel was a native of Appin if he is connected to this Bible. I wonder if there are any surviving baptismal or marriage records for his family and descendants in America, one can possibly verify his Appin Scottish area or Irish origins from that information to some degree. The Klocke family are an old New York state family by the way Kyle. German or Dutch 18th century pre revolutionary war Colonial American origin like my family. One of them an officer or soldier in the New York State Milita during the Revolutionary War. Wasnt there a Klocke at the Battle of Oriskany when General Burgoyne's British forces, Loyalist militias and Mohawk warriors were invading Northern New York on their way to Albany. I cant remember his first name and the details but I do remember the name. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

McConley Family

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Kyle, I recall that at the time of American Revolution there were Klocks or Klockes at old Herkimer and Montgomery Counties in New York State who in the local militias there and participated in battles against the British and loyalists in New York State in 1777. regards, Donald
Kyle2 MacLea

McConley Family

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

That's interesting--you know a lot more about the families of the former colonies than I do, that's for sure! As for McConley, I admit it seems unlike to me at this point that McConleys and McLeas would be mixed up in any great numbers.
Andrew Lancaster4

McConley Family

Post by Andrew Lancaster4 »

I see no reason to suggest that all McConleys are MacOnleas, but the APPIN connection in your case makes it extremely likely!! I agree with Kyle that it would be great to have your family in the DNA Project. Regards Andrew