Mull River, Cape Breton Livingston Family Branch

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Roberta, That must be another ALexander Livingston. The Boularderie Livingston had Rodericks in there family, but I dont know who that is. The Middle River Alexander Livingston probably has some connection to the Mull River family. I have not yet figured out how he connects with them. The Alexander Livingston of Whycocomagh I am refering to was a 67 year old farmer born in Scotland in the 1881 census and a resident at Whycocomaugh in Inverness County. Also listed is his wife Annie age 50 born in PEI(the sister of old Kate Livingston 1808-1912 of Mull River) and their son John age 32 farmer and Catharine age 34 and Donald age 17 all born in Nova Scotia. Alexander born in 1814 then was old Kate's brother in law. (C-13165 Whycocomagh, Inverness County,Cape Breton,NS, Div.2 page 27) I am looking into the possiblity essentially that two Livingstons brothers John Jr. and ALexander married two Livingston sisters originally from PEI, apparently from the Nine Mile Creek, Queens County, PEI Livingstons according to Dr. St. Clair. He has nothing to link Barry's Colin Livingston to the Mull or Whycocomagh Livingsons, but he is aware of the obituary for Colin LIvingstone from PEI that states his Whycocomagh origins which is critical to make any kind of case that he is infact one of the lost sons of Mull River, Cape Breton pioneers John Livingston Sr. and Catharine Campbell. I am also pretty sure as the information that Dr. St. Clair has that these two left Mull around 1821 and settled at Mull River around 1824 is reasonably correct. The fact that they are listed with their children including a John ALexander and Colin in the presbyterian records marriage and baptismal from Mull and that the baptismal list for the children ends in 1820 is a further suggestion that they left around 1821 for Nova Scotia. I have been told that there is reference to John Livingston and Catharine Campbell as settling at Port Hood in 1803. I am willing to bet that is an error. Perhaps confusing the Judique Livingstons who from what i can tell from the later census records also lived at nearby Port Hood on the west coast of Cape Breton. None of the Mull River Livingstons have I found in the 19th century census records at Judique or Port Hood, so I assume the ones that did live there were connected to the family of a John Livingston and Isabel McDonald. There was a Malcolm Livington living at Port Hood in the late 1800's who was probably a son or John and Isabel I suspect.There are some reasonably good family history information on these two pioneers and I think it is probably reasonably accurate.
Canadian Livingstone

Please note that the notion that John Livingston jr. of Mull River (S.E Mabou) 1808?, Alexander Livingston 1814 and (Colin Livingston 1818 of Whycocomagh CB later in PEI) as brothers and sons of Mull River CB pioneers John Livingston and Catherine Campbell from Penmore Mull is just a theory that I putting out there. I am not sure that the Penmore, Mull family of John Livingston and Catharine Campbell that apparently left Mull in 1821 is the same John Livingston and Catharine Campbell family that settled at Mull River, Cape Breton around 1824. It makes sense on one hand but it could be just a weird coincidence and I could be totally wrong. It feels right but but I could be wrong. There is for example information that another Livingston family settled at S.E Mabou also known as Mull River in the early 1800's by the name of John Livingston and Mary (Catharine?) Campbell. Two sons eldest sons listed for them were Duncan Livingston b.1799 and a John Livingston b.1800. The Penmore Livingston family arent mentioned in the local history accounts of the Livingston family but then they arent neccessarily complete by any means, though Dr. St. Clair has managed to locate all the records that can be found I suspect. regards Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Please note that the notion that John Livingston jr. of Mull River (S.E Mabou) 1808?, Alexander Livingston 1814 and (Colin Livingston 1818 of Whycocomagh CB later in PEI) as brothers and sons of Mull River CB pioneers John Livingston and Catherine Campbell from Penmore Mull is just a theory that I putting out there. I am not sure that the Penmore, Mull family of John Livingston and Catharine Campbell that apparently left Mull in 1821 is the same John Livingston and Catharine Campbell family that settled at Mull River, Cape Breton around 1824. It makes sense on one hand but it could be just a weird coincidence and I could be totally wrong. It feels right but but I could be wrong. There is for example information that another Livingston family settled at S.E Mabou also known as Mull River in the early 1800's by the name of John Livingston and Mary (Catharine?) Campbell. Two sons eldest sons listed for them were Duncan Livingston b.1799 and a John Livingston b.1800. The Penmore Livingston family arent mentioned in the local history accounts of the Livingston family but then they arent neccessarily complete by any means, though Dr. St. Clair has managed to locate all the records that can be found I suspect. regards Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, Sorry I am confusing you. Old Kate's younger sister Ann was married to Alexander Livingston of Whycocomagh. What you may not know is that Old Kate and Ann's maiden was also Livingston according to Dr. St. Clair. So what has been established is that old Kate 1808-1912 married a John Livingston Jr. b. abt 1800 or 1808 of Mull River Livingstons a son of pioneer John Livingston b.1770's and his wife Catharine or Mary Campbell and they lived at Livingson Mountain, Mull River or S.E Mabou if you like. Her sister Annie also born in PEI as was Kate or Catharine also married a Livington who was Alexander Livingston b.1814 who had a farm at neighbouring Skye Mountain, Whycocomagh I think it was to be exact. So it has been established by Mabou Historian Dr. St. Clair that two Livingstons sisters married two Livingston from another Livingston family or families. What Dr. St. CLair does not know is whether old Kates husband and her sister Annies husband were brothers. It seems to me quite likely but I must furnish proof of this. Then you send me the Penmore Mull Livingston birth information which shows a John Livingston and Catharine Campbelllmarried 1805 at Penmore Mull which a large family that stop a year before 1821 when the family are supposed to have Scotland and which oddly encludes a elder son John Livingston born 1808, an Alexander born 1814 and a Colin born 1818 which oddly enough seems to fit our Mull River/Whycocomagh Livingstons we are looking at. So we know two PEI Livingston sisters married two Cape Breton Livingstons it is just the issue of whether Kates husband John Jr. of Mull River S.E Mabou and ALex of Whycocomagh were brothers and of course whether or not your Colin Livingston of Whycocomagh was their brother. Regardless of whether the Penmore Mull information you found applies to the Mull River/ Whycocomagh Livingstons I am almost certain that old Kate Livingstons husband John LIvingston, Alex Livingston and your Colin Livingston are brothers. I dont need the Penmore Livingston information to back me up on that, although it would be nice if that was the correct family that settled at Mull River. Certainly the locality at S.E Mabou was so named because of the obvious origin of the settlers in the area from Mull. But I have to prove that the Penmore Mull family is the right one and there is alternative information over the years that unfortnately challenging that notion. I cant believe I am so close on this and I may never be able prove any of it. regards, Donald
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi Donald Yes I have it straight in my head now. I agree that we are pretty confident that what we are suggesting probably contradicts alot of previous work that has been done with regards to family history. It is like a puzzle and you have a number of pieces missing and then all of a sudden you find a missing piece and you have another piece in its place....hmmm a dilemma. I just need to find more information relating to the Wycocomagh connection. I will have some time next week to make another trip to the archives, so I will see if I can find anything in wills, and other deeds I have overlooked. I am a little puzzled where the Marble Mountain information came from. I am hoping I can retrace Boyd Livingston's research on the family and find the document it refers to. Also wondering why the Whycocomagh reference and not Mull River. If Colin's roots were in Whycocomagh wouldn't that be where John Jr's roots would be too, and not Mull River, but rather where John Jr. resided after he was married? I would have thought John senior would have raised his family in Whycocomagh, for Colin to have been from Whycocomagh. There are still some
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Good day Barry; There is a Boyd Livingston here: http://www.islandregister.com/livingston1.html Regards; Roberta
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi Donald This is the link to the history for the first Livingston family showing on the 1841 PEI census. http://www.islandregister.com/livingston1.html Interesting also, is that Alex Livingston in lot 53, where later a Joseph Livingston resides in 1881, is probably Donald Sr.'s son. Lot 53 is very close to my ancestors in lot 55. My family was never aware of Alex and Joseph in Newport/Cardigan area. I can't help but feel there was a family connection between John sr. from Mull River and Donald sr. from PEI. These are the families most logical for Mull Kate and Annie to have come from. Has there ever been any kind of family connection made between the two lines? Barry
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi Donald My last post may have been a stupid question, because I believe there is apparent speculation that John, Angus, Malcolm, and possibly Donald were all brothers. Is this correct? Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, No I think with Alexander of Whycocomagh it was just a Mull River/S.E Mabou son of John Sr. moving eastward to take up settlement and establish his own farm elsewhere in this case Skye Mountain, Whycocomaugh, while I assume his older brother John Livingston Jr. that married old Kate remained in the area of the original settlement location at Livingston Mountain, Mull River. Pioneer families may stay in the same village area, but more often they gradually move into neighbouring areas. Perhaps Alexander liked the scenery at Skye Mountain, Whycocomaugh or the soil was better for farming. Dont know. I do suspect regardless of whehter I am right or wrong about that Penmore Mull information you found on the Mull site, that John of Mull River, Alex of Whycocomaugh and your ancestor Collin were brothers. There just werent that many Presbyterian Livingston families in Inverness County in that specific area in the early 1800's, unless there was another one we dont know about which I suppose is also possible. John and ALex married Livingstons who were from a PEI family. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, No the only connection that Dr. St. Clair made was that it was understanding that John Livingston Jr. b. abt.1800 (or 1808?) of Mull River and Alexander Livingston b.1814 of Whycocomagh married old Kate and her younger sister Ann both maiden name Livingston who is saying were decendants of the Donald Livingston of Nine Mile Creek, Lot 65, Queens County, PEI you are talking about. To be sure the census records indicate that both old Kate 1808-1912 and her younger sister Ann wife of Alexander Livingston b.1814 of Whycocomagh were born in PEI and are Presbyterians. So logic dictates that since old Kate was born long back in 1808 on PEI just two years after old Donald Livingston arrived from Mull with his family, that she would be likely a daughter of one of his sons that came with Old Donald and his wife. Some of the baptismal records of some of the children of the four sons of old Donald of Lot 65 Nine Mile Creek, QUeens County PEI are from St. Pauls Anglican CHurch and you pointed this out to me recently. They were compelled to have their children baptised in an ANglican church because there was no Presbyterian minister at their settlement in the early 1800s or Presbyterian baptisms were not recognised by the Anglican colonial officials at that time. I dont remember if there was a Catharine born or baptised around 1808 in those birth/baptismal records you showed me. I would assume there is a good chance that old Kate 1808-1812 of Livingston Mountain, Mull River, Inverness County, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia was a daughter of one of old Nine Mile Creek Donald Livingston's four sons. Old Donald was born abt. 1750 or 1751 at Morven but he and his family were at Mull in the early 1800's before they left for PEI according to family historian John Collins. I see looking at St. Pauls Anglican baptismal records you pointed out to me that there is a Catharine born in 1811