Mull River, Cape Breton Livingston Family Branch

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Barry, One theory I have seen is that Malcolm who arrived at Pictou in 1792 and later Antigonish County Nova Scotia was joined in 1816 or 1819 by a brother ANgus Livingston a Napoleonic War veteran who settled at Boularderie Island, Cape Breton. It is also believed there was another brother George Livingston, but I cant locate his decendants. Other versions of this seem to exist but this appears to be original version of the story. While many of those who came to Nova Scotia and PEI from Mull apart from these three I dont know that anyone knows of any other original pioneers as brothers. I have not seen any info linking Donald Livingstone of Lot 66 PEI and John Livingstone Sr. of Mull RIver, Cape Breton as brothers or kin. That being said it would not surprise me to learn that more of these Livington families in Nova Scotia and PEI are somehow related. So many of them came from Kilninian and Kilmore Parish at Mull. I noticed that someone was trying to make a connection in Scotland with the McPhail family and Livingston family. I dont know about a connection in Blantyre Scotland with Dr. Livingstons family, but what we do know is that McPhails were a family from Kilninian and Kilmore parish like the Livingstons and that some settled in PEI. Interestingly some of the Livingstons settlers that came to PEI and Nova Scotia from Mull were married to McPhails. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Based upon Dr. St. Clair's research it seems reasonable to believe that there was a John Livingstone Sr. 1773-1840 that settled around Mull River in the 1820's. There is also good reason to suspect that his wife was Catharine
Canadian Livingstone

Catharine Livingston (1807-1912)is buried in the First Settlers (Pioneer) Cemetery in Hillsborough,Mabou. Old Kate as her nephew Dr St. Clair tells the story, was a interesting local character in the Mull River/Mabou community and not without some justification was she known by the local folk as the "Witch of Mull River". She is said to have died with a broom in her hand as she swept the floor. There are a number of legends and stories about her, among them that she had an evil eye and was double sighted. Evidently with good reason the pictures and the mirrors were turned facing the wall at the time of her death in 1912. Sounds like a bone chilling story for the next Stephen King novel. Sure gave me the goose bumps. I may not sleep well tonight. Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Finally in the course of this Mull River, Inverness County, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia research I have discovered with the help of PEI Livingstone descendant Barry Judson that his ancestor Colin Livingstone b. abt. 1818 who died in 1867 in Kings County, PEI where his two sons John and Angus lived was originally from Whycocomagh,Cape Breton and may have been a brother of Alexander Livingston b.1814 of Whycocomagh and possibly a brother of John Livingston Jr. born 1800 or 1808 of nearby Mull River, Inverness County, Cape Breton. Though there are still a number of questions to answer regarding Colin Livingstons connection to these Whycocomagh and Mull River Livingstons this was an interesting discovery by Barry Judson and assistance of Roberta Livingston and Dr. James St. Clair proved to be most helpful in our study of both the Cape Breton and PEI Livingstones. This is certainly not an end but a new beginning of what I hope will launch more research into these Martime Livingstone families as new decendants contact our forum. regards, Donald
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi To go along with what Donald said......I do know, from what my family tells me, there are many of the Livingstone relatives of ours that moved to USA, and my mother tells of stories of boxes of clothes been sent home to them and such, when she was a little girl. So their are descendents of my family living in USA, but they are unknown to me. Barry