Mull River, Cape Breton Livingston Family Branch

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Barry, Interesting that the gentleman who contacted Dr. St. Clair at that Mull Forum has a Mull family who were at Penmore, MUll, a John Livingston and Catharine Campbell who among other children an eldest son John Livingstone born abt. 1808, Alexander Livingston born 1814 and a Colin b. 1818 and a Duncan as well and they are Presbyterians. And the list of children in the Mull records seem to stop at 1820 which matches the fact that they seem to have left Mull in the early 1820's. Now I have a John Livingston Jr. born abt. 1800 that married a Catharine Livingston born in 1808 and lived at Mull River, Nova Scotia I have and Alexander Livington born 1814 and we have a Colin Livingston that seems to have been born around 1818 Too much coincidence for me. Only thing I have to check is whehter or not Alexander at Whycocomagh was born in Scotland or Nova Scotia critical. I dont think that Dr. St. Clair was certain who ALexanders parents were. regards, Donald
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

In the 1881 census it is showing Alexander born in Scotland. Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Bingo. ALexander was indeed born in Scotland in 1814 and therefore was almost certainly of a Mull family that settled in NOva Scotia in the 1820's I know I have not convinced everyone of this and dont have 100% proof but your Mull forum information was a major piece in the puzzle I was looking for regarding the Mull River Livingstones. If that birth/baptismal information from Mull regarding the children of John Livingstone and Catharine Campbell of Penmore, Mull is correct then in addition to John Livingston Jr. born in 1808 who married old Kate Livingston b. 1808and lived at Mull River there was a brother Alexander livingston born in 1814 as indicated by the 1881 Census record who lived nearby at Whycocomagh. This is what I was suggesting to Dr. St. Clair. That they were brothers and those Mull records indicate the possibility of that. Further more to your hopes and dreams that Mull list of these Penmore livingstons indicated they did indeed have a son named Colin born or baptised in 1818 which fits close enough to the information you had from your obituary information on Colin. The dates on the Mull records from the Mull Forum are just too much coincidence to be other than the mystery Mull Livingston family that settled at Mull River after 1821 1824?
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Ahhhhh I didn't even see the connection with Colin's brother being the brother of John, old Kate's husband. It's interesting that Kate and Annie were both from PEI. I don't think that is coincidence, so maybe they were sisters? If they we sisters that means we also have a Annie Campbell who was Alexander's wife. This is more stuff for me to look at in the provincial archives. It seems the more answers we get here, the more questions we have. This is good though and I'm just hoping it is a big part of our puzzle. It's going to take a little bit of thought to get my head around the possible implications of this. Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Never mind the Duncan. I had that part backwards. It was Duncan son of Malcolm that got married at Whycocomagh. I dont have a Malcolm but I am sure he fits in the Mull River Livingstons some how. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, Oh yes old Kate and Alexanders wife Ann were both born in PEI according to the census were sisters and Dr. St. Clair has stated this was the case. What has not been stated and what I am convinced of is that old kates husband who Dr. St. Clair believes was John Livinston Jr. born abt. 1800 to John Livinstone and catharine Campbell is the older brother born abt. 1808 of Alexander Livingston born 1814 of Whycocomagh. So what I really suggesting here is that two brothers sons of pioneers John Livngstone sr. and Catharine Campbell of Penmore, Mull married to Livingston sisters originally from a PEI livingstone family. That is exactly what i AM suggesting. And further more that your ancestor Colin was yet another brohter to John and Alexander and also ason of John Livinston and Catharine Campbell of Mull River. Dr. St. Clair did not know about this Colin Livingston of yours nor was there any records on him in Cape Breton apparently, so he was an unknown. There are according to the Mull records a Donald, Duncan and Hugh Livingson brothers as well but again they were not recorded in any records or none that survived and probably moved elsewhere. I could be wrong but it is an interesting theory worth considering. regards, Donald
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

I found Duncan's death certificate. He was Alexander and Annie's son too. Died age 91, 1938. Duncan had an adopted son Edward who lived in Whycocomagh as well. Duncan lived in Wycocomagh 50 of those years and lived somewhere else in Nova Scotia the rest of his life. He was born in Nova Scotia. Barry
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

I noticed there are two Alex Livingston's in the 1881 census. One in Middle River and one in Whycocomagh. They both have wives Ann. One wife born in PEI the other born in Nova Scotia. I wonder if they are related? Barry
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hello Donald; Malcolm Livingston s/o Duncan Livingston and Catherine Morrison.
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Well, Donald, Alexander Livingston is listed in the 1881 census as being age 60; so that would make him born 1821.