MacDonaldite Church - Orwell

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi All I don't know if this is relevent, but my great grandfather Angus and his wife Catherine, a Kelly from Orwell, were involved with this church. My aunt recalls them heading by horse and wagon for the "preparatory services", in Orwell, when she was a little girl. The trip to Orwell is about an hours drive by car today, so it would have been a long trip and I don't know if they could easily do it in a day. From what I can gather, the church was somewhat of an early pentecostal church, not your normal Church of Scotland church of today. I will see if I can find more information. Here is a link which mentions it. http://www.archives.pe.ca/peiain/fondsdetail.asp? Barry
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Here is another link that is a very good. http://www.shimajournal.org/issues/v2n1 ... 20v2n1.pdf Ghosts and goblins on PEI have been a large part of the island's culture for a very long time, and I can recall as a boy sitting around mesmerized by the stories told in my grandfather's house at the kitchen table lighted by a kerosene lamp. My grand parents had no electricity, and I vaguely remember my grandfather John Duncan. My uncle Archie was the story teller and he was good at it. Now my aunt Peggy was the ghost story teller and lol sometimes she would even scare hereself and then not be able to sleep when she went to bed. Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Barry, I am interested in learning more about the local folklore and family stories. Dr. St. Clair has been doing family research on Cape Breton for more than 50 years and has told me some interesting stories about his Great Aunt old Kate Livingston who died in 1912 at the advanced age of 104. Ghosts, Goblins and witches apparently are a part of the folklore. Sir Walter Scott was interested in highland folklore and tales and closer to our Argyll homeland, Archibald Campbell in the late 1800's collected and published local folklore of Western Argyll. regards, Donald
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi Donald The Belfast Historical Society has published some books about the history of the Belfast area and it's people. There is one section, of one book, which talks about the MacDonaldite Church. Maybe at least two pages of information relating to the church in Orwell. Let me see if I can get a copy and give a condensed version of what is there. There have also been quite a few books written on PEI about the ghosts and goblins on PEI, but I'm not sure if this is applicable to Livingstons exactly. Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Barry, For an overview of Nova Scotia and PEI settlement history, I heartily reccomend the two books that Lucille Campey has written on the subject. They are available through PEI Books. I found them to be a big help in getting a general sense of who settled where and when. Also some passenger lists are included which is nice extra. regards, Donald