Lord Selkirk of Red River

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Bachuil

Post by Bachuil »

I have received today a very kind present from Donald Livingstone Clink of a copy of Lord Selkirk of Red River.  I shall enjoy reading this and notice there is a Kirkcudbright connection.  My outlaws (my esteemed wife's parents) live in Kirkcudbright  and I have enjoyed many a libation in the Selkirk Arms there. Many thanks Donald! Regards, Niall
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
Donald Livingstone Clink

Post by Donald Livingstone Clink »

Consider the book a donation to your Clan library and a means for your family in Scotland to get to know one of our Scottish heroes who in the end gave so much of himself to help the struggling highlanders make a new life for themselves in what was then Hudsons Bay Territory,British North America. I have found that there is no one book on Selkirk and his settlement that covers all the details, so in my research I have drawn from a number of differents books and original sources. I will say that Gray's book is very well written and covers the essential details of Lord Selkirk's unfortunately, brief life and the establishment of his settlement at Red River in what is Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada and nearby Pembina, North Dakota, USA.