Deeds and Early Land Transfers from PEI

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Barry, I wonder who that John Livingston was that acquired the land in Kings County in 1803? I realize i dont know that much about Livingstons that settled in PEI apart from Donald Livingstone and his sons that settled arrived in 1806. So that must have been a Livingston that arrived around the time Lord Selkirk was establishing a his colony of highlanders in Queens County. PEI. I would like to find out more about this Livingstone that acquired the property in 1803 and whether or not the family stayed in Kings County. I will see what if any information I have on a PEI settler circa 1803. Nice work on locating all those Livingstons. To save some time see what you can find out about the earliest land transactions. regards, Donald regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, I wonder who that John Livingston was that acquired the land in Kings County in 1803? I realize i dont know that much about Livingstons that settled in PEI apart from Donald Livingstone and his sons that settled arrived in 1806. So that must have been a Livingston that arrived around the time Lord Selkirk was establishing a his colony of highlanders in Queens County. PEI. I would like to find out more about this Livingstone that acquired the property in 1803 and whether or not the family stayed in Kings County. I will see what if any information I have on a PEI settler circa 1803. Nice work on locating all those Livingstons. To save some time see what you can find out about the earliest land transactions. regards, Donald regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, I am really curious about this John Livingston deed in 1803. Heres the thing. He is did not arrive with Lord Selkirks settlers in 1803 that I can see from the surviving records and did not acquire land on Queens County but instead Kings County. I think this is a question that should be turned over to a local history expert in PEI who has knowledge of the first settlers in Kings County. If he was the original person granted the lot he would have written a petition for a grant with some info on himself included but the deed info generally does not include any kind of detailed biographical info. It might tell us what locality he lived in PEI at the time of the land transation but that is about it. I am putting him down for 1803. See if you find exactly where in 1803 in Kings County he settled. What lot etc and any other clues from the deed. I assume some of those Land transactions are connected to sons of the pioneer Donald Livingston of Nine Mile Creek PEI and his sons who arrived in 1806. regards, Donald regards, Donald regards
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald; there are only 2 listings for Petitions in the year 1803. Petition #156 Accession #RG5 Series #Series4 File # 15 File year 1803 Last name Selkirk First name Right Honourable Thos. Date of Petition September 5, 1803 Description of Request:
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Further to my last post, Donald:
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, The best thing about all this is that we have located another pioneer family that settled in PEI and one which I have no record of. John Livingston and his wife Sarah (Sally) at Kings County in 1803 I do not have. Lord Selkirk's first settlers arrived in 1803 and a settlement was established at Belfast, Queens County,PEI. No Livingstons are recorded on the list of 1803 settlers, but of course the list is by no means complete. Donald Livingston and his sons from Morven/Mull arrived in 1806 and settled at Lot 65, Queens County. I was not certain whether Donald was apart of this colony or located on land near to the settlement but Donald Livingstone researcher John Collins located a land record which indicated that Donald Livingston was leasing land from Lord Selkirk in 1806 on the south shore of Lot 65 east of Nine Mile Creek. Also around this same time, Roberta's ancestor John Livingstone arrived in PEI from Mull, but subsequently took up settlement in Low Point, Cape Breton with his wife Christy McPhee. Nice find or should I say finds and appreciated by all. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta, I could not find John Livingstone in the list of settlers from 1803 in Lucille Campey's book but this list does not neccessarily represent all the settlers that were actually were there in 1803. This is a great piece of research you have Roberta and it is seems quite likely that John Livingstone was connected to the Selkirk Settlement one way or another. We just have go through the records and it will become more clear. Nice work. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta, Yes based upon what Barry was saying about the land deed stating a land transaction occurred in 1803 from Fanning to John Livingstone, I assume this is a parcel of land from Lot 53. The family acquired land on both Lot 53 and Lot 54 at one time or another if I understand correctly. So either John was a part of the Selkirk settlement and received a parcel of the land from that settlement or acquired land adjacent to it from Fanning. In any event I am sure we can find out exactly what JOhn's status was. I bet the Historical Society would be helpfull. Barry I think knows them. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, Alexander who you mentioned is at Lot 54 in the 1841 Census is the same Alexander who is married to a Maria or Ann Marie Ladner whose child was baptised at St. Pauls Anglican Church, Charlottetown. Note the baptismal record states that Alexander resides at Lot 54. Must be the Alexander you found. From that you could probably Alexander at least is either an Anglican or a Presbyterian who had his child baptised in an Anglican church quite common when there was no other church available in pioneer settlements. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta, Perhaps Barry when he has a chance can inquire about this list you mentioned. regards, Donald