Deeds and Early Land Transfers from PEI

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Actually the baptismal record did not mention the lot number for Alexander. I was thinking about the Alexander in the 1841 Census. Do you suppose that both pioneer Donald Livingston at Lot 65 and John Livingston (Lavingston?) of lot 53 had a son named Alexander? That is the question on my mind at the moment? Anyways as Roberta noted from her information the Alexander married Ann Marie Ladner was the son of pioneer Donald Livingston and Mary at Lot 65 Nine Mile Creek Queens County. So I guess who is the Alexander on Lot 54, Kings County. Likely not Donald;s son but id like to be certain. regards, Donald regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, The original 1803 transaction between Fanning and Livingston did it look like "Livingston" on the deed. Check with the Belfast Historical Society and see what they think regarding this Edmund Fanning-John Livingston transaction. I honestly think it is Livingston. Lavingston is just an extremely uncommon family name in Scotland and I not sure it is a family name in Scotland and not a spelling error. THere were a few in England in the 1600's or English origin, but not many it seems. Knowing the history of Livingstons in the maritimes I am leaning towards Livingston but not ruling out any possibility. At one time I wondered if it was John Livingston who arrived about 1803 and went on to settle with his wife Isabel McDonald at Judique, Cape Breton. THere is date for his arrival in the maritimes of 1803. But that would not explain that the PEI John seems to have family living in the area. This Cape Breton John;s family lived in Cape Breton with him. Anyways checking out all possibilities I guess. There is a list with the known settlers who arrived in 1803 and settled on Selkirk's land but my understanding from Lucille Campey's book is that it is not a complete list and some are not listed. But alot of people arrived from Scotland in 1803 apparently. regards, Donald
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

The baptismal record did not say lot 53, but it did say St. Georges and that is right across the river from Georgetown. Also note that Alexander Lavingston's wife's name was Mary Sigsworth. I have to figure out the time lines here. Where did John Lavingston Jr. go after he was born in 1842 in St. Georges. He would be almost 40 in the 1881 census. There are alot of unanswered questions here and still alot of leads. I have my 1.5 yearold grandson this week and working days, so my time has been limited on this, this week. I also have to check the archives for Lavingston leads too. That is a name I didn't look for. Barry
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald; I checked the records for any Lavingstones in Nova Scotia.
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hello again Donald; I'd like to add to my last post. Thomas was the son of my 3rd Great Uncle Laughlin Livingstone and Anne Petrie.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, The wills for Sarah, John and Malcolm will give us a rough idea whent they died. Was the will for John for Sarah's husband or another John Livingston I wonder. I was curious about the transaction Duncan Livingston to Sinclair James October 1809 and Malcolm Livingston to Alexander Livingston October 1836. There must a land transaction record that shows sale of the original piece of land 1803 Georgetown lot 53 Kings County
Canadian Livingstone

HI Barry, Sorry I meant SInclair James to Duncan Livingston 1809 and Alexander Livingston to Malcolm Livingston 1836. Also I realise that Sarahs will was dated 1853. regards Donald
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi Donald I haven't gotten back to the archives lately with the schedule I have at work now. :( When I was at the archives the last time I asked about the land documents and they only have deeds and also lease agreements. All land petitions are online on the PEI government website. I had asked if there is any way to trace the original owners and track pieces of property and they said there wasn't. She said any land documentation from the period I was interested in would have been transferred to the archives from the land offices. Everything that is available is listed on this site...http://www.gov.pe.ca/cca/index.php3?num ... 626&lang=E It appears that PEI did things somewhat different, in that most land holdings were a lease agreement and I don't think they actually owned the property until later. This book may be helpful in understanding the lease arrangements.... http://www.islandregister.com/campbell/intro.html The Archives have a pretty good collection of wills, but many individuals didn't have wills when they died. They have a large collection of newspapers, and one of them is the "Record", which I haven't gotten to yet. I'm not sure but I think it is a record of notable land transactions and families that imigrated to the Island for a given time frame. I'm afraid the rest of the work is going to be a fairly lengthy process, looking through newspapers, and trying to find mention of the Livingstone name. I found a land transfer in 1806 of a parcel of land in Georgetown from John Livingston, to John Cameron. I'm guessing this may be our John Lavingston but not sure. The Sarah or Sally Livingston will was dated 1853 and it records Joseph as her grandson and Malcolm as her son, but it does not say that Malcolm is Joseph's father, and from the wording, I don't think he was. I believe it said Malcolm lives in Cape Breton. It was Duncan Livingston deed from Sinclair James in 1809. Also Malcolm deed from Alexander Livingston in 1836. I have a feeling you are on a fishing expedition. Care to share any connections relating to this. ;-) The more I read and the more I dig, the more a realize there was a very strong connection between Cape Breton and Eastern PEI in the Early 1800's, and it is somewhat frustrating not been able to put the pieces together. Some of the pieces of the puzzle I know are staring me right in the face, and it is like putting together a very large jigsaw puzzle. The very first pieces in the puzzle are easy......once the easy pieces are put together it is harder, then easier at the end. Same thing here. Very frustrating..... On another note.....I went to the Polly cemetery on Saturday. I found my great great grandmother's grave, Sarah Ross, who was married to Archibald Kelly, and they had a daughter, Catherine, who married my great grandfather Angus livingstone. Now interesting.....next to her grave was an Effie Livingstone, who was married to John Livingstone, died at the age of 25 years, 1875. The headstones were almost identical and beside each other. Was Effie a daughter of Sarah, or a sister, or another relation? I'm not sure. What about the John Livingstone....another unknown John. I'll print off your post Donald, and next time I go to the archives I'll see if I can find some answers. BArry
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, Maybe a fishing expedition. Perhaps will catch a big Livingston family history tuna yet. Actually some good old east coast lobster would be great for supper right about now. Whatever the limitations with the PEI land record system I think we still have lots of stuff to work with. Lets start with the oldest records. That John Livingston transfer to John Cameron from 1806 would be worth getting a copy of as well as the 1809 deed of Duncan Livingston and the Alexander Livingston to Malcolm Livingston. Most importantly I think it would be worthwhile to get a copy of that John Livingston to John Cameron document just to have 100% proof that this the John Lavingtonn that acquired land from Edmund Fanning as we understood in the year 1803. Having proof of that will be a "big catch" in itself. Excuse the fishing metaphor. I think we can sort this Lavingston thing out with that 1806 record. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, I am sorry that so much of your Livingston family history is a puzzle. I do think there is always a possibility that the more we sort out all these Livingston families in Cape Breton and in PEI that the truth will reveal itself. But alot of finding your family history information is luck I had one other thought. I wonder if the historical society has any information regarding this John Lavington/Livingston from the 1803 land transaction. Did anyone note him. As the list of 1803 settlers is said to have been a "reconstructed" list in 1903 then could someone have missed John Livingston as an original selkirk settlers. I think the records may indicate that our John Livingson aka John Lavington was an original Selkirk settler. Once we have copies of the two documents ie the land record regarding the transaction between Edmund fanning and John Lavington and the 1806 transaction between John Livingston and John Cameron we may be able provide proof that this John Livingston was one of the earliest Livingstons to settle in PEI and and a Selkirk Settler. I hope we can anyways. regards, Donald