Deeds and Early Land Transfers from PEI

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi Donald The lobster season opened yesterday as a matter of fact. Haven't had any yet though, but I will. Lobster prices are low this year....bad for the fishermen, but good for the ones that eat them. Interestingly, when my mother was a little girl the poor families were the ones that had lobster in their sandwiches at school. Strange how thngs change. You could pick them up off the shore then. I find the hand writing on these documents very hard to read, and some of the wording is old english, and symbols that I don't understand. My work schedule has had me working days lately. Makes it hard to get to the archives. I soon will start a 5 week rotation, working 12 hour shifts. Every five weeks I get a week off. So I know where I will be ;-) The archives doesn't open in the morning until 10 am too, so unless I have an entire day off it doesn't give me the time needed to do some serious research. Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Barry, If you know the document number and page and give them that infor they may be able to photocopy the documents and mail them to you for a nominal charge. Some provincial archives offer that service as long as does not require them to do any kind of lengthly research. It would be great if you could get a photocopy of the 1803 and 1806 John Lavington/Livingston land records for Lot 53, Kings County. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, In the 1901 Census Joseph is located at Lot 53 Kings County. So there must be both a Lot 53 and 54 connection with his family which gives creedence to the notion that he could be the grandson of that John Livingston connected to early KIngs County land transactions. His given birth date in the 1901 Census is May 13,1834 and his wife Mary was born April 10,1834. In the 1901 Census he is only Livingston residing in 53 and none listed in Lot 54 for that year, so he if anyone is the probable descendant (grandson) of the John Livingstone from 1803 we are researching. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta, At this point having followed the paper trail in the Livingston Kings County records available to us I think we can conclude that they all pertain to the Livingston family rather than a Lavingston family. I am hoping that the Belfast historical society can finally verify that this is the case. In any event it the family we are studying in King County that I am most concerned about whether they were Livingstons and the evidence in terms of records seems to point to them being Livingstons rather than Lavingstons. Hopefully that is the case. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, Please note. I checked the 1881 Census and I believe that it states that Joseph Livingston and his family were residing at Lot 53, King County in 1881. This leaves one with little doubt as to his connection to those Livingstons who were the earliest Livingstons on this lot (1803?). regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, Regarding Joseph's ethnic origin he states in the 1881 Census that he is a Scot. regards, Donald
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi Donald Yes I agree with everything and that is what I was thinking too. Note too that Alexander's family, in census for 1841, has three living in his home. One born in Scotland, one born in the British Isles, and one born on PEI. I'm assuming Alexander was born in Scotland. That would leave John Livingston having two sons.....a Malcolm and an Alexander. Sarah may have been Alexander's wife, and Joseph their son. Do we have a John Livingston in our records that matches this combination? I'm curious the relationship between these families of John, Joseph, Alexander, and Sally. These are all different periods, but all are more than likely related. All descendents of these families with the Livingston name no longer live in the area. I have two uncles in Dundas/Upton with the Livingston name, and one of them has a son, but that is it for Livingstons, out of more than 30 cousins on that side of the family. Seems males are kinda scarce in the Livingstons. Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, So her will does not state that Joseph is her grandson or son, just that he is inheriting land? I dont think that Sarah would be ALexanders wife because he does not seem to have a wife in the 1841 Census. The thing is that the 1841 Census seems to indicate that Alexander is without a wife and living with one senior women (Sarah his mother?)and young son if I understand the information correctly. Anotherwards his wife if he had one died before the 1841 census and presumingly he only has Joseph. This is born out by the fact that only Joseph shows up in the records years later in all of Lot 53, Kings County. So no wife not many children I take for Alexander if I am intrepreting the information correctly. Maybe she was another son of John's wife like Malcolm, but I dont know that make sense. regards, Donald regards, Donald
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi Donald It states that Joseph is Sally's grandson, and Malcolm is her son, but I can't remember if it said Malcolm is living in Cape Breton. It did not say Malcolm is Joseph's father. It also didn't say these were the only children but the only individuals that were noted. I will re-read the deed on Wednesday. I didn't make detailed notes because I didn't know what was important, and alot of information to digest in a relatively short time. I will get more on this on Wednesday and in the future. I did find another deed for Malcolm Livingston from Maligrant Cove, Sydney Co. He had property in Charlottetown.......I didn't know for sure the area he was from or what it said but Jim St. Clair confirmed the name Maligrant Cove. This is his comment..... " the place is Maligrant Cove, Sydney Co.
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi Here is some more interesting info on this from an email from Dr.St Clair. "Sally Livingstone would have been name Morag in Gaelic- the name is sometimes translated into English as Sarah and sometimes as Marion - does she leave money or land to her son Malcolm?