Prince Edward Island 1803 Livingston Found

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Congratulations are in order Barry Judson and Roberta Livingston have found information that supports the notion that a John Livingtone and his wife Sarah were likely the earliest Livingstone settlers on Prince Edward Island arriving in 1803 and subsequently receiving land with the Selkirk settlers there or nearby them. Presumingly there is Mull or Morven connection to this family as seems to be the case with almost all the PEI and Nova Scotia Livingstons/Livingstones. I look forward in anticipation of further information on this interesting find. Well done. Donald
Canadian Livingstone

I have noticed that so many Livingstons I am researching in the 1700's and early 1800's are named John Livingston. Could it be that they are named after Baron John Livingstone who was Baron in latter part of the 1700's. That might explain all these John Livingstons I keep coming across. The Balachulish folks also had several generations of John Maconleas and the name John Maconlea or Livingstone was common in that part of Argyll as well. Donald Donald
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Thank you Donald; I checked up to 1850 and no Livingston/e applied for land through a Petition on Prince Edward Island. The land they did aquire was either bought or leased. Although, there is still a chance that John Livingston was a part of the re-distribution, by Lord Selkirk, for Lot 53.
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hello again Donald: Well I checked Birth Records and found a John Livingstone married to Sarah McInnes at Appin with a son, Donald, born April 23, 1770. Also, John Livingstone married Sarah McLachlan at Bachil and showing several children. Donald, with regard to your comments about all the John Livingstone's:
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta, That interesting about the saints. I did not know that. Most of the settlers I understand on Lot 53 and 54 were in fact Catholic and located on these lots by Selkirk but I am not certain about this John. Looks like they could be Anglican or Presbyterian. Presbyterians were sometimes baptised in a Anglican Church if there were no Presbyterians ministers available at the settlements.Now I meant to tell Barry that I noticed that there is an Alexander that Barry mentioned and his wife Maria or Ann Marie Ladner ? I presume whose child was baptised at St. Pauls Anglican at Charlottetown. I noted the other day the address given on the church records for this Alexander was Lot 54 so this is the same Alexander that Barry stated he had located in the 1841 PEI Census at Lot 54. I noticed that Donald Livingston b.1750/1751 also had a son named Alexander according to John Collins so I was sure at first who the Alexander living on Lot 54 was the son of. Now I think we know. Anyways Donald Livingston was at Lot 65, queens County with his family. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta, I agree with you. No he did petition for land but this John Livingston of Kings County Lot 53 appears to have been one of the settlers connected to the Selkirk colonists in 1803 that was settled in Kings County. While most of the colonists on Lot 53 and 54, in King County were Catholic settlers settled there by Selkirk according to Lucille Campey,there were a few Protestants as well. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

That should have read John Livingston did not petition for land in 1803. sorry.
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Good morning Donald; There is an on-line book by Lucille Campey that I found extremely interesting:
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Roberta, where did you find that online book? Barry
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Good day Barry; The book by Lucille Campey can be found in the Google search for Scotchfort Prince Edward Island. Regards;