Prince Edward Island 1803 Livingston Found

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Thanks for the Roberta Here is one about the history of PEI. The question about Catholics owning land is addressed in the book, and gives alot of background to the early history of PEI. Dave Hunter has it on his site. http://www.islandregister.com/campbell/intro.html Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Wow!!!! Nice going. So I was right about Ann Marie Ladner. Excellent. Lots of detailed info you have found there. So Lord Selkirk likely had a Livingston from Morvern in 1803 at his PEI colony and of course my Livingston kin that were natives of Morven at his Red River Manitoba colony first established in 1812. Well that is interesting. I wonder if Alex's father John Livingston of Lot 53 1803 is related to my ancestor Miles Livingston a native of Morven who was a settler at Lord Selkirk's settlement at Red River in 1812? Very interesting what you and Barry have stumbled upon. This is why I got into genealogy in the first place and what makes it so enjoyable and worthwhile doing. Great work you guys. This is a great follow up to the research we have been doing on Nova Scotia and PEI livingstons last year. I was happy with finding Barry's interesting ancestors but this is extra icing on the cake as they say. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

OOps Ok. That was the other Alexander son of Donald Livingston that was married to ann MARIE Ladner that I originally thought. Ok just so everyone knows the baptismal record indicated that the Alexander that lived on Lot 54
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta, It is fair to say then that John Livingston in Kings County and Donald Livingston in Queens County appear to be the earliest Livingstons we have found settled on PEI. Based upon John Collins research and St. Pauls Anglican Church records Donald Livingston Born 1750/1751 Morven,Argyll died Jun 1840
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hey I think I've got it. I was going through the baptisms on the PEI government site......trying different combinations of searches and guess what. I found an Alexander "Lavingston" that had a son John, who would be Sally's husband, and he was born in 1842 in St. Georges, wich is really close to Georgetown. So a good guess is that Alexander's father was John Lavingston. So I did a search for John Lavingston, and he Served in 21st Foot Regiment; Ross and Cromarty Fencibles; 8th Royal Veteran Battalion, and was discharged at the age of 34. I'm betting this is the 1803 John we are looking for. John Lavingston was born in ACHAGOUR, Mayo. Georgetown had militia in the town in 1803, because I saw other land transactions for military. Does anyone have access to these military records for these units? http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/cata ... ssmethod=5 Barry
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Ok Next step is this link. http://www.napoleon-series.org/military ... bles2.html Part way down the page there is this..... Colonel Pollen's Regiment of Fencible Infantry [or Surrey Rangers]
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Oh one more piece of info. John Lavingston Jr.'s wife was named Mary Sigsworth. Barry
Canadian Livingstone

HI Barry, This is interesting. So it could be that are John Livingston was a Lavingston from Ireland and is connected to Fanning through the military. Interesting development. I guess we cant assume all the Livingstons or Lavingstons are from Argyll, Scotland. Nice bit of investigative work Barry. Are there any Lavingstons in the 1881 Census in PEI? regards, Donald
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

From what I found, I think the Lavingston is from the Inverness, Scotland area. Is this correct? I did some reading and there were alot of highlanders that served in this unit, and it was a Scottish unit, so I still think he is still from Scotland. There are no Lavingston's in Canada in any of the census' for 1881 that I can find. The only reference to the Lavingston is in the baptism record, and at first I thought it was a typo. I'll have to get back to the archives and look at some of the other deeds at Gorgetown, for they may give some more clues. There are quite a few Lavingston's in USA in later years. BArry
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, I have never heard of Lavingston before in the Inverness area and would suspect that it should be Livingston. However before I say this for certain I need to check it out with others. I promise I will check this out and get back to you on this. In mean time see what you can find. The fact that you could not find them in the 1881