Duncan Livingston and Catharine McNab

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

In Argyll Parish records on our website there is a entry stating that Peter Livingston son of Duncan Livingston and Catharine McNab was born or baptised 17 April 1797 at Port Appin. While this appears to be two years or so off the apparent birth date, this would not be the first time parish records and census records did not jive. Also the 1841 Scottish census at Appin reveals there is no other possible Peter Livingston in the immediate area that fits our Port Appin Peter Livingston. Only one. Assuming for the moment that this information is correct it is likely that this Duncan Livingston was a close or more distant relative of the Bachuil Livingstons. For that matter whoever Peter's father was we know because of DNA testing he would certainly be a Bachuil Livingston relative related to the Bachuil Livingstones on the Island of Lismore one way or the other. If it was this Duncan Livingston likely born in the 1770's or 1760's who could it possibly be? THere are four prime contenders on the Isle of Lismore: Duncan son of Malcolm Livingston and Kate McArthur born abt. 1759 at Craganich, Duncan son of Donald Livingston and Christian campbell born abt. 1771 at Cloichlea and Duncan son Myles Livingston and Mary McArthur born abt. 1769 at Baillegarth. All potentially sharing DNA and likely kinship with neighbouring Bachuil Livingstones on the Island in the 1700's The other possibility given that we know Peter Livingston and his family lived at Port Appin in the 1800's at least is that his family had been in Appin prior to 1800 and that Peter's father Duncan Livingston is one of three Livingstons listed in the Appin. One of these is Duncan son of Hugh Livingstone and Catharine McINnes born in 1770 and the other a Duncan Livingstone son of John Livingstone and Sandy McInnes said to have been born at Inverhyle either in 1772 or 1774. Somehow my gut feeling is that this Duncan if in fact he is the father of our Peter Livington of Port Appin is connected ultimately not to Port Appin for any major length of time but infact the family is rooted at Lismore and perhaps Peter's father if he was Duncan was one of the Duncans I have listed that was born on the Isle of Lismore where the Bachuil Livingstones and the Baron of Bachuil's ancestors have lived for centuries. A Duncan Livingstone was Baron in the 1700's interestingly enough so the name had much significant to our people in the area. He was also I presume the Baron who went proposed the name change in the 1700's. Ok just a theory based on something someone copied I presume from the original APpin Parish register. Just something to ponder. regards,
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald; you were wondering earlier about a connection between John Livingstone and
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Just a note Donald-- That Peter on the births page on this site is listed "per McLeod."
MICHAEL LIVINGSTONE

Post by MICHAEL LIVINGSTONE »

Frank McLeod worked with Rob Livingstone on the Livingston family history.
vkadams

Post by vkadams »

Michael are you my cousin?
MICHAEL LIVINGSTONE

Post by MICHAEL LIVINGSTONE »

According to family tree maker we are third cousin's. I just talked to
Canadian Livingstone

HI Kyle, Me to. To my knowledge Rob did not include either Peter the SHoemaker's 1841 Census age of 40 or his 1851 Census age of 54 which would give one possible birthdates of 1800, 1801 or 1796 or 1797. In my experience census records, birth records, baptismal records are all considered legitmate sources for a genealogist to source approximate birth dates. In one of my recent postings you will see that I cited all of the sources including Marion Bostock's 1792 birthdate that was submitted to the LDS some time back without source information. WIth all due respect to Rob to the best of my knowledge I am not aware that Rob made that effort. To my way of thinking it is essential when I researching someones family history to collect all that is available and not disregard one source over the other. It is unfortunate fact as anyone who works at the LDS will tell you that many of the submitted family history information, particulary those not extracted from original sources could contain errors. There is no guarantee that the information is correct, particulary if it not in any way verifyable with original parish,census records. And yes census records,cemetery records can also contain errors or be copied incorrectly. So there you have the challenges of doing ones family history. Look there is no other Peter the SHoemaker at Port Appin. I am sorry the 1841 and 1851 census are probably the best source we have for a birthdate unless we verify that birth/baptismal record that we seem have included in our birth records on the Maclea Livingstone Web site. Sure someone might be able to come up with other Peter Livingstones or Livingston in Scotland that was born around the time we are looking for but I am pretty certain it wont be PEter the shoemaker of Port Appin. Sorry to say but I think what we got is all that we got. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta, Thanks for that. Yes so many of the highland families were accompanied by other neighbouring families who were related through marriage, so you often find them petitioning for Upper Canada land grants together or purchasing land in neighbouring lots. Quite a lot of that in old Ontario among the Scots. They were very "clanish". You didnt see a John Livingstone and Betsy in the 1851 or 1861 or 1871 census in Lambton County. When I get over this bad cold I would like to go down to the archives and try to find some census and land records for Livingstons in Lambton County. One of the Livingstons in 1871 in Lambton County is my great-great Uncle John Livingston born abt. 1818 or 1820. He was in Bosanquet township as was my great-great grandfather John Clink who was married to Nancy Livingston daughter of Miles and Janet Livingston of Morven. Our Lambton County Livingstons arent related unfortunately to Michael and Virginias though our ancestors all lived in Lambton COunty,Ontario at one time or another and both came from Western Argyllshire Livingston community. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Michael, Great news that a cousin has contacted the Maclea Livingstone forum. I was hoping you would contact the forum and appreciated the information on your Livingstons that we received last year. I found your detailed information on Angus Livingston to be very helpful to my efforts towards creating a summary list of the Pioneer Livingstones that settled in Canada before 1850. I am currently working on Ontario, Manitoba, Nova Scotia and PEI with some success. I am related to both Ontario and Manitoba Pioneer Livingston settlers. A number of descendants whose ancestors were on my summary list have already contacted in the last couple of years by way of the forum. Others have been added to the list. When Virginia contacted us if was helpful that I had taken note that you were also descended from the same ancestor once I figured out that you and she shared the same ancestor. I was delighted to hear of course that you matched with the Barons DNA which means somewhere in the last few centuries you shared an ancestor who would have been I assume one of the Barons of Bachuil. COngratulations on that. The close proximity of your Port Appin Livingstons to the Isle of Lismore where the Barons family has lived for centuries was for me a clue to me that you might have a good chance of being a DNA match. regards, Donald
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Well, as long as people feel sure of their sources, that works. It appears that we may not be able to connect Peter for sure to the Bachuil family, but the DNA doesn't lie... So it seems though we may never know the definite connection that there can be little doubt this Port Appin family is related to the Lismore clan seat. That is, regardless, great news! And also great to have Michael and Virginia make a connection here on the forum as well! Great to hear from you both! All best, Kyle=