DNA results kit 130593

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
vkadams

DNA results kit 130593

Post by vkadams »

This is definitely my line: Roy Livingstone descended from Peter H. Livingstone brother to Catharine Jane Livingstone my great grandmother. I have noticed that the family records all say Livingston but when all of the obi notices are posted in the paper they all say Livingstone.
Canadian Livingstone

DNA results kit 130593

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Virginia, The spelling variation of Livingstone/Livingston in the highlands is not of too much significance I dont think, just the personal preference of the family or the census taker. Some families went with Livingston others with Livingstone. I have gone through the census records parish by parish regarding the spelling variations of Livingston and Macleas. There seems to be some definite preferences among some of the families but I would not read too much into it. THey were all of the same highland clan. regards, Donald
Jill Richmond

DNA results kit 130593

Post by Jill Richmond »

Hi Virginia and Donald, I think Donald is quite right. The 'e' or lack of it on Livingston is neither here nor there. I have found on looking at family records that some of my family are recorded as Livingstone and others as Livingston, but we spell our name Livingston. When I lived and worked in London (a long time ago) and took something to a shop to be repaired, the person behind the counter invariably spelt my name with the 'e', adding the merry quip that "he presumed" that I would be back to collect whatever I had brought in on such-and-such a date. Regards, Jill
Jill Richmond