Peter Livingston b.abt. 1797 in 1851 at Port Appin

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Regarding Peter Livingston of Appin. The 1851 Census has different take than the 1841 census that records Peter with a birth date of about 1800 or 1801. The 1851 Census states that Peter Livingston is age 54 and born abt. 1797 which matches an entry in the Appin Parish records on the Maclea Livingston Webpage which states that Peter Livingston son of Duncan Livingston and Catharine McNab was born or baptised in 1797 at Port Appin. So out of the three dates I have apparently from the original records two seem to be a match. Whether that is correct I cannot say, but I would like to verify that birth/baptismal record for Peter with a copy of the original from the old Appin Parish Book. It is after all to be fair a copy and one needs to be certain. 1851 Census Scotland Peter Livingston age 54 Shoemaker
Canadian Livingstone

Regarding Peter Livingston of Port Appin we have the following information: An apparent Appin Parish birth or baptismal entry with a date of April 17,1797 with the parents listed as Duncan Livingston and Catharine McNab of Port Appin LDS submissions from family researchers. One which states that Duncan Livingston was born April 17, 1796 at Port Appin and that his parents were Duncan Livingston and Catharine McNab Source not stated Another LDS submission from a Marion Bostock of British Columbia which states that Peter Livingston was born in 1792. No source or official record cited according to the LDS And there are the two Scottish Census sources The 1841 Census records Peter Livingston at Port Appin age 40 born abt. 1800 or 1801 and in the 1851 Census Peter Livingston is age 54 and born abt. 1797 or 1796. His occupation was a Shoemaker Thats all I have so far Virginia regards, Donald
vkadams

Post by vkadams »

The Marion Bostock submissions have mostly been wrong.
Canadian Livingstone

HI Virginia, I appreciate your family history frustration and it is road that I have myself been down many a time before. To be fair to Marion, the 1797 date from Peter's 1851 Census record that I leaning toward is no sure thing given that this parish birth or baptismal record for Peter Livingston that could help validate is infact also as Kyle has pointed out also a submission of sorts. That is to say we have no proof as yet it is included in the original APpin Parish records. I am hoping to sort this out eventually. Let us know precisely what your Livingston related research concerns are and we will certainly do what we can to address them. I would say that almost everyone that arrives at this forum has at one time or another seeked information on Livingston or Maclea relatives.I live in ONtario and have can sort out which Livingstons lived where and when through the Archives records and other sources at my disposal. regards, Donald