John Livingstone

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Kyle2 MacLea

John Livingstone

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Virginia-- I haven't followed the whole history here, but if there is anyone else you want us to look up in the database of ScotlandsPeople (for free), let me know! It might save you a little bit of money--we don't have the images, just the index, but it might help you. Just spell out for me again exactly who you are looking for. Kyle=
Canadian Livingstone

John Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Virginia, Well I am resonably comfortable with the census records for the Port Appin Livingstons myself though they may not be absolutely perfect. The Appin Parish records on the MacLea Livingstone Forum I cant guarantee they are accurate because I did not copy them nor do I know the whole story regarding those Appin records of Rob Livingstons. So I am starting from scratch as far as the birth/baptismal Appin records go for Peter Livingston as soon as the Appin Parish records arrive to compare with what is in Rob s collection. Absolutely if you sense their is a decrepancy or error it needs to be checked out. I cant comment about descrepancies or errors in the Appin Parish records until I see the originals. Dougal I only know from what I saw on Robs collection so I really am in no position to say whether Rob's information regarding Dougal and his wife and family are right or wrong until the original Appin records arrive. I wont have access to any Plympton Township records that might pertain to the John Livingston you mentioned until the archives reopens in its new location. Hopefully then things will become clearer one way or another. In many cases family historians dont have surviving birth or baptismal records and they must rely on census records to guesstimate an approximate birth date. Based upon the 1841 and 1851 Scottish census Peter was possibly born sometime between 1796-1800. This seems about right but no one can guarantee these things 100 per cent. If there are no parish records or other alternative records then often census records are the only tangible option to derive an approximate birth date. regards. Donald
vkadams

John Livingstone

Post by vkadams »

Kyle, I have a few theories that I am working on...I know I have seen your email posted before but if you would post it here it would save me browsing through all of the previous posts...I have spent quite a bit of money on OPRs for other names in the family..any help I could get through you would be gladly accepted...I don't necessarily want to post it all right now on this forum...thanks in advance...vka
Richard Hartman

John Livingstone

Post by Richard Hartman »

Hello Donald, I have a John Livingstone that was the brother of my ancestor.
Kyle2 MacLea

John Livingstone

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

No problem... ksm6 -at- cornell -dot- edu Be as specific as you can... "All the John Livingston/e married to So-and-so in the 1800s" etc. I'll help if I can! Kyle=
Canadian Livingstone

John Livingstone

Hi Richard, I am hoping when the archives reopens to check and see which John Livingstone I found in Plympton Township, Lambton County. As luck would have it the archives is moving to a new location and will be closed for a while. I wonder if any of your Livingstones settled in Canada. I am not certain whether or not this a Appin Parish John Livingstone or another Livingston. A check of the Plympton Township land record index and earlier census records should give me a better idea who he was and when he settled in Plympton Township. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

John Livingstone

Hi John, With few details it can be a challenge. I can tell you that John Livingston was a popular name in Kilninver Parish, Argyll and that in the 1841 Census there were still 22 Livingstons residing in Kilinver Parish. The John Livingston you mentioned is not among them and perhaps left the parish before 1841. There were none recorded under the Livingstone spelling. By the 1851 Census all of these Livingston families appear to have left Kilninver Parish perhaps due to the clearances. Where did your Livingston ancestor settle and when? regards, Donald
Richard Hartman

John Livingstone

Post by Richard Hartman »

My great ... grandmother was Sarah Livingstone, born 1801 at Lagganmore, Kilninver, Argyll.
Canadian Livingstone

John Livingstone

Hi Richard, I noticed in the 1851 Census that a number of Livingstons residing in the County of Lanarkshire stated they were born in Argyll. Many of our highland people found work in the more economic prosperous lowlands. regards, Donald