John Livingstone

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
vkadams

John Livingstone

Post by vkadams »

Donald Here is all of the info I have on John Livingstone and Elizabeth "Betty" Livingston.
Canadian Livingstone

John Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Virginia, Thanks for that information. If they settled in the same township as Angus Livingston son of Peter the Port Appin Shoemaker and were from Appin they could well have been related to Angus and his family in Appin. I have just been contacted through our Maclea Livingstone DNA project by a lady whose Livingston ancestor settled in Ontario before 1800 and seems to have come up from New York State at the time of the Revolution or following the Revolution. Some of my ancestors date from this settlement period in Upper Canada and also originated from 18th century New York State so I have experience with locating early land records and what not from this period. It is possible her ancestor is connected to old Robert Livingston of Livingston Manor a large land owner in colonial New York, but most of his descendants supported George Washington and werent likely loyalist seeking to come to Canada, but some may have after the Revolution. This Livingston I am researching married the daughter of a former New York State loyalist from a New York State Loyalist militia. There were a number of loyalist militia that made raids from to time with their mohawk indian allies coming down from Canada and attacking settlements and forts in New York State and Pennsylvania during the Revolutionary War.
vkadams

John Livingstone

Post by vkadams »

This John Livingstone was supposedly the first cousin to David Livingston and they resided at one time at Forest, Lambton County, Ontario.
vkadams

John Livingstone

Post by vkadams »

It should read Donald not Daniel born June 15, 1835
Canadian Livingstone

John Livingstone

HI Virginia, Thanks for clarifying the family connection. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

John Livingstone

Hi Virginia, Regarding Peter Livingstons birthdate I ordered the Appin Parish record copy of the original last week so I can look for the 1797 record that Rob Livingston had. I should have it in a few weeks. If I have a chance to get to the archives I will take a look at what I can find regarding the Plympton Township, Livingstons. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

John Livingstone

Hi Virginia, The Ontario Archives closed its doors yesterday in preparation for the move to their new building on the site of one of our Universities. Better facilities for their aged documents. So it may be awhile before i can look further into your Plympton Township Livingstons. The 1871 Census index listed Angus Livingston age 52 and John age 67 both residents of Plympton Township, Lambton County. With John there is another householder Duncan age 26 on the same census page whom I assume might be a son of this John. Hopefully when the archives reopens at its new location I can find out more regarding the Plympton Township Livingstons. I dont know that these are correct ages for these Livingstons or not, but that is what the census taker recorded. I can eventually compare them with the 1861 Census records which likely exist for Plympton Township. The 1851 Ontario Census is regretably missing for a number of townships in Ontario and that has proven to be a pain to my family research from time to time. 1850's Tax assessment rolls from the 1850's can be used but they dont unfortunately only list the principal householder, unlike the 1851 Ontario or Canada West Census as it was called at the time which was the first census in Ontario to list all occupants of the household. It is somewhat similar to your 1850 U.S census I think in that regard. There may or may not be a 1851 Census for Plympton township in any event. It is either in the surviving collection or it is not. There are also an Abstract index record of all the land transactions that have occured by Consession and lot number in Plympton Township and that goes back to the early 1800's and as late as the early 1900's to get a sense of who in the Livingstons lived where and for how long. It lists all the land transactions sales, mortgages grants,original landowner patents etc. An original microfilm copy of the parish records of Appin have been ordered on the interloan and I should be getting that in a few weeks hopefully. Presumingly the late Rob Livingston or a researcher he was in contact with copied that info from 1797 which has no McLeod name attached to it like apparently the information he had on SHoemaker Peter Livingstons family birthdates or baptisms. I would have assumed therefore that Rob was the source of that 1797 info and that he transcribed it from the Parish records or if not from unknown source. Anyways will see what is on the original. I assumed at the time that he had just copied everything himself from the original Parish records but I do not know all the details and Rob sadly passed away a few years ago. I am happy to share with you what is out there, share my insight and perhaps offer an oppinion, but ultimately I leave it up to you and Michael to decide which information makes sense to you and what does not. regards, Donald
vkadams

John Livingstone

Post by vkadams »

As always...thanks for your insight...I will wait patiently for the records to arrive and the University location to open.
Canadian Livingstone

John Livingstone

Hi Virginia, Many of the highland Livingstone descendants are doing their research are faced with limiting factors such as a profound lack of records from Scotland. Some of them have even less clues and information leading to the location of their ancestors than you have right now. Those that have researched your family in the past state that Angus Livingston that settled in wyoming, Ontario was from Port APPIN and was the Angus Livingston that was the son of Peter Livingston the Port APPIN Shoemaker. with or without the parish records the family of PETER Livingston is documented in the 1841 Census of Scotland Port Appin, Argyll. Regret to say that what there is is all that there is. My sense is that the original researcher appears to have been on the right track about the family coming from Port Appin and they were on the right track. Many highland Livingstones or Livingstons that lived in the highland and those that moved to the lowlands in the 1800's have similar names Donald, Angus, Malcolm,Dougal etc. Unless you have some family info to that effect it is unlikely your Appin Livingstons have a Glasgow Livingston connection. regards, Donald
vkadams

John Livingstone

Post by vkadams »

Some of my research shows that Peter's son Peter also a shoemaker was in Glasgow