March 2005 Post by Donald Livingston Clink

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
vkadams

Post by vkadams »

Do you happen to know the ages of these John and Malcolm...Livingstones who settled in the same town as your Miles but were unrelated? "Another family of Livingstones, John and Malcolm Livingston from Bute were neighbours of Miles Livingston in the early 1800's in Esquesing Township, Halton County of our clan, but not family of Miles. Miles son John b.1818 married a daughter Joan Livingstone of this neighbour John Livingstone. I have not found any decendants of John and Malcolm here or in the States, but no doubt there out there somewhere."
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

They are not actually from Bute but from Argyll but they apparently were in Bute for a time before they left in 1819 for Canada. John was born in the late 1700,s married a Chisholm and lived in Esquesing Township Halton County, Ontario where some of my kin lived at one time. They were neighbours of my ancestor Miles Livingston but we have no way of knowing of any family connection. Just of the same clan.There was John and Malcolm's family, Miles Livingston and his family, another Livingston family of Argyll origin that up from Caledonia, New York State in the early 1800's or some place like that. John an Malcolm may be connected to the New York State family of Argyll origin. Another Livingston family that I in touch with from time to time settled in the 1850's in Grey County and Esquesing Township. There was what they called a "Scotch Block" in early Esquesing Township that developed into a large highland Presbyterian gaelic speaking community in part of Esquesing township. I guess others heard the news and joined them. regards, Donald
vkadams

Post by vkadams »

The reason I ask is that I believe that John Livingston born approx 1803 and Malcolm Livingston born July 29 1794 may be the brothers of Peter Livingston Sr who married Flora McColl.
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Virginia, None of the Livingstons that settled in Esquesing Township, Halton COunty were from Appin where these families you are researching are definitely from according the Scottish records. The earlier settlers in Esquesing were from Morvern/Mull and Isle of Islay/(Bute not likely) originally and one later family that arrived after 1850 were according to their descendant from Mull. regards, Donald