McLeod

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Canadian Livingstone

McLeod

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Michael, The 1881 Census for Plympton Township lists Duncan Livingston age 39 and his wife Mary Ann age 39. In the 1861 Census he is recorded as 19 and living with parents John and Elizabeth Livingston in Plympton Township. THey had four daughters I did not notice any sons. I guess this is the Duncan whose descendants they were looking for years later in 1940. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

McLeod

Hi Virginia So John Livingstone is listed as 56 in 1861 in Plympton township and 67 in the 1871 Census so I would assume a birthdate of about 1804 for John. regards, Donald
MICHAEL LIVINGSTONE

McLeod

Post by MICHAEL LIVINGSTONE »

I have a copy of a newspaper article dated
Kyle2 MacLea

John Livingston Eliza

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Re: Death records in Scotland pre-1855, you just have to be lucky.
Roberta Ann

McLeod

Post by Roberta Ann »

Good morning Donald; 1851/52 Census lists John Livistone age 61
Canadian Livingstone

John Livingston Eliza

Hi Virginia, Im sorry I dont know what happened to old Margaret. She may be in the 1871 Census. Havent checked yet, but I suspect she died sometime before the 1871 Census. I would assume in Plympton Township at the home of daughter and son in law, but I dont know for certain. Likely she died in the 1860's sometime. I am hoping to learn more about this family eventually when I can access the archival records. I would have to agree with Kyle regarding Scottish death records prior to the 1850's or 1860's. As he says few and far between. In terms of Ontario, Canada you have the same problem. There was no sytematic organization of death records by the government until the 1860's. Finding death records before that in Ontario is just luck for the most part. Some religions in Ontario published deaths in their publications, if your very lucky or your ancestor was important in the community you might find the odd death notice in a paper in Upper Canada, but from my experience it has very difficult to find death records kept by church ministers. After 1869 in Ontario you will find deaths were officially recorded but even then some of deaths before the 1880's seem to be not recorded. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

McLeod

Hi Roberta, No that would be the Elgin County, Ontario Livingstons, another Livingston family group or groups I am working on. One family that settled in Elgin County that I starting with was Neil Livingston and Janet McNair who were at Aldborough, Elgin County West circa 1826 or before. Some of their family later went to MOsa Township, Middlesex County, Ontario. But as the Ontario Archives is closed I am holding off jumping into the Elgin County for now. WHile Nova Scotia and PEI had a significant settlement of highland Livingstons I think Ontario had an even larger influx of Livingstons in the 1800's. We have our work cut out for us in Ontario I am afraid. Thanks for info Roberta and for reminding about Elgin County. If you or Jewel can find any info on a Neil Livingston and Janet McNair that were at Aldborough Township, Elgin West County circa 1820's I think I would appreciate that. I have some basic info on them if you find anything. I think they were the earliest Livingstons in Elgin County. Some of the other families may or may not be connected to them. regards, Donald DOnald
Canadian Livingstone

McLeod

Hi Michael, Thank-you for that. I would appreciate if you could scan that article. It was Dr. David Livingstone that died in May of 1873 in Africa. The John Livingstone that John Livingstone is said to have visited by horse was Dr. David Livingstone's eldest brother John Livingstone (1811-1899). While Dr. David and his brother Charles did some missionary work, older brother John left for Ontario, Canada in the 1840's a few years after his famous brother left for Africa. It was John whom assisted Dr. Livingston financially in College and whom he wrote two final letters which were included with some of Dr. Livingstone's personal effects which Stanley brought back from Africa with him after locating the Doctor. The letters were addressed to John Livingston of Listowel. When Stanley working for the New York Herald newspaper arrived with news he had discovered Dr. Livingston there was a great deal of scepticism in Great Britain until his brother John Livingstone of Listowel, Ontario came to the defence of Stanley stating that he had indeed found the lost missionary explorer. The New York Herald was aware that the Doctor had a brother in Listowel, Ontario and was interviewed and wrote a letter to the newspaper in the 1870's I believe. Stanley in his book on Livingstone published in the 1870's talks about John Livingston of Listowel Ontario. John's great grandson made an effort about 10 years ago at the old family plot in Listowel cemetery to create a proper marker for his ancestor John Livingstone using most appropriately some old stone from the foundation of the original home in Listowel. I dont know that this Lambton County Livingston family was related to the Doctor of his brother John as there are many such claims but it is certainly a particularly interesting one and certainly think one worth investigating. Thank-you Michael and Barry for making us all aware of this. I think this was the first time I had heard of this possible connection. Most interesting. Makes me want to find out more about this John Livingstone born abt. 1804. Could he have been from the Blantyre/ Glasgow area or from the Ulva/Mull area where Dr. Livingstons family lived at one time or another. Dr. Livingstone in a letter from the 1860's that he had family in Lanark County, Canada by which he meant his brother John who used to live in Lanark County, Ontario,Canada before he settled in Listowel, Ontario and a became a merchant there. I have never found proof that other Livingstons closely related to Dr. Livingstone settled in Canada as much as I have tried over the years However I can tell you that the PEI connection that one of Dr. Livingston's daughters I think alluded to Blaikie in his classic biography of Dr. Livingston from the 1880's would be a Hector Morrison that settled in the Belfast, PEI area in the early 1800's who was a brother of Mary Morrison (Mrs Neil Livingston) the grandmother of Dr. David Livingstone that moved from their home in the iSle of Ulva in th higlands of Scotland in 1792 with her husband Neil and family to Blantyre in the Glasgow vicinity. (I think his name was Hector. His father was Charles Morrison I think. The family was from Mull anyways as was Neil's wife Mary) We should get our PEI native Barry Judson who is familiar with Belfast, PEI to check out this Morrison family connected to Dr. Livingstone. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

McLeod

HI Michael, I assume from the information they were looking for decendants of Dougal Livingston or descendants of Duncan Livingston. As you said that Duncan Livingston would have been quite old and unlikely alive by the 1940's. Definitely a decendant is what they wanted. Wonder what was so important about making contact. A huge castle to be inherited back in Appin. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

McLeod

HI Michael, It would have been long trip by horseback for John Livingston. Assuming the horse travelled about 12 to 15 miles an hour maybe more maybe less, John if he travelled from the Forest, Lambton County area would be looking at about 77 miles distance to get to Listowel. If he was residing elsewhere in Plympton Township, Lambton County the distance could be much as 30 miles more. I am no expert at how fast John could have ridden his horse but I'm thinking that could be several hours or more by horseback. I would have thought a stagecoach would make more sense if he could have been able find a stage or connecting stages that would get him to Listowel. I dont know enough about travel by horse but I cant imagine it would be an easy horse back ride to Listowel. regards, Donald