McLeod

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Canadian Livingstone

McLeod

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Kyle, I am sorry to inform you and Clan Maclea Livingstone that Livingston researcher Frank McLeod passed away last year.This information I received from the Saskatchewan Genealogical Society. As Michael Livingstone mentioned, Frank had been working with the late Rob Livingston.I informed the society of our inqueries regarding Mr. McLeod's research and if there is any information relevant to our inquiry I am sure they will they get back to me on that. regards, Donald
Barry Judson

McLeod

Post by Barry Judson »

So I thought that Dr. Livingstone's brother John that settled in Ontario would have descendents with the Livingstone name, but you're saying that there are no confirmed relatives? I didn't know that. That is interesting. Barry
Kyle2 MacLea

McLeod

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

No, Barry--I think what he's saying is that there are no direct relatives OF THE DOCTOR by that name.
Canadian Livingstone

McLeod

Hi Barry, Thanks for passing on this information regarding Frank McLeod's family research and the information regarding the Appin and Plympton Township, Ontario Livingstons. As I am looking for Dr. David Livingstone's Uncles and their kin in my own research I am going to see if I can locate these newspaper articles which Frank was referring to. In all likelihood any first Livingston cousins of D.r David Livingston came from the Blantyre/Glasgow area None of his Uncles likely resided in Appin. His grandfather Neil Livingstone moved the family from the highlands Mull/Ulva area to the lowlands of Glasgow/Blantyre in the 1790's. I understand that Harriet Livingston came from Appin but that does not mean that her husband John Livingston did. So it is possible that John who resided in Plympton Township, Ontario or Forest could have been born in Glasgow or whereever Dr. Livingstone's Uncle was living in the early 1800's. Actually Dr. Livingstons Uncles were in the British Army or Navy in the early 1800's during the Napoleonic Wars apparently, but I have not located them or where they were living in Scotland at the time dr david was young. The Glasgow/Blantyre area is where they were in the 1790's before they left home. Dr. David Livingstone's grandparent's Neil Livingstone and his wife Mary Morrison of Mull brought his family from Ulva to the Blantyre near Glasgow where he found work in one of the mills there. This was in 1792. His eldest son John born abt. 1774 would have been about 17 or 18 at this point in time so I assume all his sons left Ulva/Mull to settle with him in the Blantyre/Glasgow area. What happened to his sons John, Charles, Duncan and Donald, Dr. Livingstone's Uncles after that I dont really know except that it is known that they served during the Napoleonic War except the one son Neil Jr. who became a tea dealer and did not go to war. That was Dr. Livingstone's father. So I am not convinced about Franks info regarding Dr. Livingstone's cousin living in Ontario, I certainly appreciate that he found this lead and I will check it out throughly if I can. I am sorry that no one told Frank about me as I could have gone to the sources here in Ontario for him if he needed. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

McLeod

Hi Barry, Yes indeed Dr. Livingstones older brother has direct descendants named Livingston just not Dr. Livingstone. I am an acquaintence of brother John's great-grandson. Kyle is correct on that. Sorry for any confusion on that point. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

McLeod

Barry, Thanks again for informing us on the Frank McLeod posting as I am sure Michael, Virginia and others will find that pertinent to their family research. It also reminds me that we should keep an eye out for anyone who might be related to Dr. Livingstone. As Kyle mentioned we also have DNA from this Livingston family group to compare with any Livingstons who may have reason to believe they are related. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

McLeod

Hi Virginia, Regarding John Livingston and his wife Elizabeth Harriet Livingston and family: Plympton Township, Lambton County 1861 Census John Livingstone age 56 born Scotland Farmer Eliza Livingstone age 56 born Scotland Duncan Livingstone age 19 born Scotland laborer Mary Livingstone age 14 Margaret Livingstone age 80 born Scotland widow Daniel Livingstone age 24 born Scotland laborer While the archives is closed I may be able to find a copy of the 1871 Plympton Township census at our public library. regards, Donald
vkadams

John Livingston Eliza

Post by vkadams »

Thanks for that info...Margaret Livingston must be Margaret McCallum...she probably didn't die in PEI as someone else had reported...I will add this info to my cache and thanks for your determination to help...I am curious to find her death certificate as I want to know if Dugalds legal name was John as I am unable to find a birth of Dugald or any such spelling around the time that he would have been born and on his marriage license it says John and on the birth listings in the Appin Parish register it says Dugald/Dugold etc...another mystery to solve... Re deaths in Scotland prior to 1855 are we plum out of luck or is there somewhere we can write to or contact regarding death certs/info.
Canadian Livingstone

McLeod

Hi Michael, This bit about the lawyer is indeed a interesting and helpful find. Nice going. I would assume that Duncan from Sarnia is John and Elizabeth's son that is listed in the 1861 Plympton Township in my posting below along with an 80 year old widow named Margaret Livingston whom I assume is Dougal Livingston's widow. Everyone is coming together with some great information. Team effort really. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

McLeod

Hi Michael, The 1881 Census for Plympton Township lists Duncan Livingston age 39 and his wife Mary Ann age 39. In the 1861 Census he is recorded as 19 and living with parents John and Elizabeth Livingston in Plympton Township. THey had four daughters I did not notice any sons. I guess this is the Duncan whose descendants they were looking for years later in 1940. regards, Donald