The Late Frank McLeod

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Canadian Livingstone

The Late Frank McLeod

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

I was sorry to learn today from the Saskatchewan Genealogical Society that Livingstone family researcher Frank McLeod passed away about a year ago. Frank was descended from highland Livingstones John Livingstone and Elizabeth Livingstone who settled in Plympton Township, Lambton County, Ontario, Canada in the 1800's. Elizabeth Livingstone was the daughter of Dougald Livingstone of Appin Parish and his wife Margaret McCallum. Frank had apparently done much research on both the family of Dougal Livingstone as well as the family of Peter Livingston of Port Appin, Argyllshire and his son Angus who also settled in Plympton Township. It is my understanding that Frank MacLeod and our late Rob Livingston from the Clan Society were in touch a few years back and Frank contributed some research information regarding these Appin Livingstons to our website. Belated sympathies go out to his family and we appreciate the assistance he gave to our Maclea Livingstone Clan Society. The loss of Rob a few years ago and most recently Frank is unfortunate for the Clan but we will move forward following in their footsteps. It is encouraging to see that there are so many Livingstones out there doing genealogical research sharing their information with the society. Indeed Rob and Frank would be pleased. Donald
Kyle2 MacLea

The Late Frank McLeod

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Thanks for making that contact, Donald!
Canadian Livingstone

The Late Frank McLeod

Hi Kyle, Yes I talked to a lady with the society and she said she would contact me with any further info. I am interested in learning more about the full extent of his research. I am hoping that his research material has been saved and that I can find a way for Virginia, Michael and others to share in his knowledge and insight into their Appin Livingstons. Yes it is a pity he is gone. It would seem we were like two ships in the night that passed by
Canadian Livingstone

The Late Frank McLeod

Hi Kyle, It should be noted that in 2004 Frank had concluded that despite what his grandmother had told him regarding his ancestor john Livingstone being a ist cousin of Dr. Livingstone and a newpaper article or articles he had located he had over many years reached the conclusion that his ancestor John Livingstone born abt. 1803 could not have been a son of one of Dr. Livingstone's Uncles. He states in April 6,2004 "after much research I have ruled out David's four Uncles as possible father's to John who was born 1803..." I believe from this that Frank was under the impression from the story told by his grandmother that the two John Livingstones lived in neighbouring Counties. In fact the distance between Listowel in Perth County, Ontario where Dr. Livingstones brother resided and Forest in Lambton County was 77 miles and not in adjacent counties. If Frank's ancestor was living elsewhere in Lambton County the distance could have been several miles greater. It is possible given what Frank said in 2004 that the newspaper article merely restates an old family story that is being retold but was never verified. The fact that Frank himself held some doubts I think should be considered. He also considered his ancestor John b. 1803 being a son of Dr. Livingstone's great Uncles but this is even less likely given that his great Uncles were born in the 1740's or thereabouts. That being said as this is area of Livingston research I have been personally involved in regarding Dr. Livingstons family roots I will definitely continue to pursue Frank's grandmother's story and learn what I can of his Livingston family research. regards, Donald
Kyle2 MacLea

The Late Frank McLeod

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Yes, unfortunately, there is a such a plethora of these stories out there that it appears without 'proof' to be hard to tell the plausible from the less plausible... Too bad, because it would be great to have more definite connections to the Dr! Kyle=
Canadian Livingstone

The Late Frank McLeod

Hi Kyle, RJ Campbell the biographer whom Baron Livingstone mentioned published a book on Dr. Livingstone in 1929. He notes that a grandson of Dr. Livingstone a son of his youngest daughter Anna Wilson mentioned that it was his understanding that the Uncles of Dr. Livingstone were at Waterloo. We know that father Neil was not in the Napoleonic War and was a Tea Dealer. Also another detail I have learned that was known to the Livingston family was that one Dr. Livingstone's Uncle Charles was working in Glasgow at the time of the Napoleonic War and was forcibly conscripted into the Navy by press gang and died somewhere in Mediterian. There is some debate among scholars of Dr. Livingstone and his family who his Uncles were and how many there were. There is unfortunately little in the way of information on them except for birth dates and some speculative assertions. I would presume that they all the sons and daughters were with their father Neil Livingston and mother Mary Morrison when they left the Isle of Ulva, in Western Argyll in 1792 for Blantyre in Lanarkshire where Neil found work in a Cotton Mill.
Canadian Livingstone

The Late Frank McLeod

Hi Kyle, My approach is to start with what has been proven without doubt regarding Dr. David Livingstons family and then move beyond that working with whatever clues we can find to try and locate other possible family connections. Easier said than done. regards, Donald