Neil Livingston and Janet McNair of Elgin County, Ontario

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Jill, et al-- I wonder if we could confirm a relationship by DNA testing your line and also the descendants of Neil and Janet from Elgin County. Do you have any males to test with the Livingstone name in your line, Jill? (Unless you've already tested it--we have so many families, it's hard to keep track!) Also, I don't know if we have a contact with the Elgin County family? Kyle=
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Kyle, No we have no contact but by setting up this new posting dedicated to them I am hoping that they might contact us. Aldborough Township where it appears Neil and Janet Livingston and their family first settled in the 1820's was settled largely by scots and was part of the Talbot Settlement of Colonel Thomas Talbot an Anglo Irish aristocrat who settled in Upper Canada in the early years. Unlike Lord Selkirk whose settlement schemes were motivated by humanitarian concerns regarding highland Scots, Talbot was in all respects Selkirk's polar opposite disdainfull of the Scottish settlers and their land and settlement rights. He had however important connections in the British Aristocracy and the support of George the Third's son the Duke of Cumberland in his land development schemes in Upper Canada. Despite unhappiness in Upper Canada among many people with his despotic ways and his hording of land no in the Government of Upper Canada made much of an effort until years
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jill, Thanks for that. I also enjoyed learning about your Livingston ancestors in your earlier postings. Well were still trying to sort out the Craignish and Glassary connection to this Livingston family as we have found some descrepancies in the records. I assume that Neil and his family might have been from Craignish Parish near Oban which of course would explain why his mother was a McDougal. Oban area was a McDougal area if I am not mistaken. And it looks to me from the LDS info on Neil's wife Janet McNair that she is connected to Lilgilphead, Glassary Parish, Argyll, but we are still trying sort this all out. Interesting though that your family has a connection to this area. As
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jill, I found my Argyll Parish map. Looks like Craignish Parish and Glassary Parish are in close proximity to one another. Craignish Parish records dont survive before 1775 but Glassary Parish records exist as early as 1750. I will order the microfilmed originals next time I at the library. regards, Donald
Jill Richmond

Post by Jill Richmond »

Hi Kyle and Donald, Thanks for your interest. Unfortunately the male line of my family is now extinct. My father had two brothers, but there were no sons born to any of them. I believe I have male relatives in Australia, but I have no idea who they are, or where they are. So not much joy there I'm afraid. I have measured the distance from the head of Loch Craignish to Kilmichael Glassary and make it approx 7.5 miles as the crow flies, but it would be considerably further on foot. Unfortunately Ordnance Survey no longer put parishes or their boundaries on their maps which is maddening. Regards, Jill
Jill Richmond
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jill, I think I can get you an Argyll Parish Map. regards, Donald
Jewel Brown1

Post by Jewel Brown1 »

Came across this website for Elgin County, Ontario and thought it might be helpful to the research of Livingston's in Elgin County, Ontario. http://www.elginogs.ca/index.htm
Jewel Brown1

Post by Jewel Brown1 »

Correction:
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jewel, Sorry I think I missed responding your postings. So much happening. So many families. I will check it out when the archives reopens but it looks like Neil and Janet and family settled in Aldborough Township Elgin County and later in neighbouring Mosa Township, Middlesex County all originally part of what was known in the 1800's as the Tabot Settlement after Colonel Thomas Talbot who received a land grant and was responsible for a extensive settlement scheme in this part of Upper Canada (Ontario). Obviously some of their children later ended up in the States including two in Utah it looks like. regards, Donald
Jewel Brown1

Post by Jewel Brown1 »

Hello Donald, I should have noted in my previous post regarding Margaret Livingston,