Neil Livingston and Janet McNair of Elgin County, Ontario

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Roberta I started a new thread for Neil and Janet Livingston of Elgin County, Ontario
Canadian Livingstone

HI Kyle and Roberta, The LDS info has Neil Livingston born 9 March 1784 and baptised 15 March 1784 in Craignish Parish Parents were Malcolm LIvingston and Isabel McDougal. Evidently they were Craignish based Craignish Parish,Argyllshire being south of Oban where one would certainly expect find some McDougals and Livingstons to be sure. Do you have Neil Livingstons information for these dates in Craignish Parish Kyle? regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kyle and Roberta, This Lochgilphead or however it might be spelled appears to be in Glassary Parish so that accounts for why it is mentioned in Neil and Janet Livingstons LDS family records I think. If the LDS info for Janet McNair is correct she was born 7 December 1794 in Glassary Parish and her parents said to be Neil McNair and Sara McPhail who were married abt. 1786 in Glassary Parish. Obviously as Kyle has pointed out there is some sort of confusion regarding where Neil and Janet were married. The LDS info as you know has Neil and Janet married 23/12/1813 in Glassary Parish where I assume that Janet's family may have lived and Kyle's source states that they were married 28/12/1813 in Craignish Parish where it looks like Neil was born. Sounds like I had better order an original copy of the parish records to sort this out. Looks like the eldest children of Neil Livingston and Janet McNair were born in Lochgilphead, Glassary Parish following their marriage and not Craignish but that may have just been an assumption and not based upon the actual parish records. Certainly given what Kyle has found someone needs to sort this out. The LDS info states that Sarah.b1814,b.1815and Janet b.1818 were born at Lochgilphead,GLassary Parish and the rest of the family were born in Canada. Is that correct? Im not certain at this point in time. regards, Donald
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Looks like the record supports Sarah being born in Craignish... the others, who knows. It is also possible they got married in BOTH parishes, that did sometimes happen, or just a service in both places....
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kyle, I wonder where they got that other date. Anyways I guess I proved my point about the LDS info. You just cant be 100% certain if one relys solely on someone else's research. Nice to remove those particles of doubt if you can. On the down side I sometimes wait more than a month to get the parish books on microfilm from Salt Lake City. Usually just a 3 weeks or so. It will be somewhat delayed this time because the library did not send my requests out for a week. Could be a while before I recieve the Appin Parish records. I ordered a couple of others but did think about Craignish or Glassary of course. regards, Donald reguests, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jewel, Thats great. This is a early Livingston family group that dates in Ontario from about the early 1820's. Well at least that it seems to be the case. Looks like they were in Aldborough Township, Elgin County in the 1820's and some of them were later residing in Mosa Township, Middlesex, Ontario and later as you mentioned Michigan, Utah etc. USA. At least we have a good sense that this family has Craignish and Glassary Parish, Argyll roots we just have sort who was where when and was born where. At least we have some sense where they originated in Argyllshire, Scotland. I have been trying to record an origin point for all these Argyllshire Livingstons that settled in Canada. I am unlikely in most cases to discover the original village but at least if I can figure out the Parish where the family came from Argyll I feel we have something. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jewel, Thats great. This is an early highland Livingston family group that dates in Ontario from about the early 1820's. Well at least that it seems to be the case. Looks like they were in Aldborough Township, Elgin County in the 1820's and some of them were later residing in Mosa Township, Middlesex, Ontario and later as you mentioned Michigan, Utah etc. USA. At least we have a good sense that this family has Craignish and Glassary Parish, Argyll roots we just have sort who was where when and was born where. At least we have some sense where they originated in Argyllshire, Scotland. I have been trying to record an origin point for all these Argyllshire Livingstons that settled in Canada. I am unlikely in most cases to discover the original village but at least if I can figure out the Parish where the family came from Argyll I feel we have something. regards, Donald
Jewel Brown1

Post by Jewel Brown1 »

In the 1860 Census for Spanish Fork, Utah I found.
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hello Donald; Margaret(Meg)Livingstone, born October12, 1818 in Loch Gilhead, Argyllshire. Married Archibald Gardner son of Robert Gardner born March 12, 1781 in Houston, Renfrewshire and Margaret Calinder born Dec. 23, 1780 in Falkirk, Stirlingshire.Margaret (Meg)Livingstone was the first of eleven (11) wives of Archibald Gardner. Marriage took place in Brooke, Kent County. Canada West, February 19, 1839. Children Robert b. Feb. 1, 1840 in Brooke Township Kent County (Lampton County) Canada West Neil b. June 24, 1841 in Brooke Archibald b. April 10, 1843 in Brooke Janet b. April 9, 1845 in Brooke Margaret b. October 6, Salt Lake Valley, Salt Lake Sarah b. Feb 10 1850 in Mill Creek,Salt Lake Mary Ellen b. Feb. 1852, Mill Creek Rachel Marie b. May 10, 1854, Mill Creek Delila b. July 18, 1857, Mill Creek Delila was the writer in the family.
Jill Richmond

Post by Jill Richmond »

Hello Everyone, I have been most interested in this thread as my forebears were at one time in Craignish. I can't quite get a tie-in with the line that you are following, but it is likely that there is a connection. Incidentally, my 2times great grandmother was a McGilp. This is also spelt McKillip, McKillop McGilp and Philip. My
Jill Richmond