Forum is back

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Canadian Livingstone

Forum is back

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Jerry, I loved my Comodore 64 until computers with more memory and speed came along. Despite its simplicity compared to the computers of today and primitive graphics I used to enjoy some of the arcade style games I had with it. It was however kind of useless for word processing unless you intending to go blind looking at the screen. We certainly have come a long way in computer development. In my Dad's day it used to take a room full of IBM computer technology to do relatively simple things. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Forum is back

Hi David, I will bet those pong machines are a collectors item now. I remember them in the pubs at the University I attended in the 70's. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Forum is back

Hi Barry, Next time your in Belfast, PEI ask if any one has access to info on Reverend Sinclair McLean. He was a local historian doing research on Dr. Livingstone's older brother John in the late
Canadian Livingstone

Forum is back

Hi Virginia, Glad to hear your enjoying the forum.I think the forum has over the years covered a wide range of Livingston and Maclea related topics but we seem to focus on Canadian Livingtons lately since there has been much interest expressed lately in this subject area. I for one very much appreciate the Baron and others having set up the forum and website. It is a great way to learn about your clan and family, connect with other clan folk and share genealogical information. regards, Donald
Roberta Ann

Forum is back

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Everyone; Please be advised that I am very happy; at the return of our Forum. I was startled at the interuption in my routine. It is through all of the efforts of the Clan volunteers and especially Baron Naill who make our family conections possible. I also want to take this opportunity to thank the Administrators of the DNA Project; Andrew and Kyle. I hope that through the DNA project and the efforts of voluteers, I will find out who and where my 4th greatfather, John Livingstone b. 1784, came from; in Scotland.
Canadian Livingstone

Forum is back

Roberta i think sums it up nicely. We all I think go into panic mode when anything happens to the forum. I know I did. Clearly the forum serves its purpose and is obviously of great value to its participants. Having said that there is still room for improvement. Poor Jill seems to be holding the torch as our only Scot who contributes on a regular basis to the forum. Where are the other Livingstons or Livingstones who live in Scotland? regards Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Forum is back

Hi Roberta, Having a number of DNA samples from Lismore, Mull, Appin and Morven Livingstone descendants I think will in the next few years will help better establish ancestral connections among the Livingstons that lived within the Western Argyllshire vicinity. I am hoping to contribute to the project with a Morven Livingston participant. Our ancestors moved around a bit in Argyllshire from time to time, but I think it is so far a safe assumption that your Livingstons prior to 1800 lived somewhere in Mull. Any match to your ancestors DNA outside of Mull or Western Argyll just means that their ancestor at somepoint left the main Western Argyll locality of the Clan at some point in time. In any event there is no evidence that I am aware of to suggest that your ancestor John Livingstone that settled in Nova Scotia did not originate from Mull. The fact that he named his estate "Staffa" certainly is a clue in itself that he originated from Kilninian and Kilmore Parish at Mull, not to mention the fact that so many of the Livingstones that settled in Nova Scotia and PEI came from Mull. regards, Donald
Barry Judson

Forum is back

Post by Barry Judson »

I can do that Donald. I actually live in Belfast, PEI. Oddly there is not a spot that you can actually pinpoint that is Belfast. It encompasses a large area of communities in the Flat River, Belle River, Iona, and Eldon area. I live in Flat River, although originally I am from the Dundas area. We attended St. John's Presbyterian Church for 8 years, built by the Selkirk Settlers in 1824. Barry
Jill Richmond

Forum is back

Post by Jill Richmond »

Hi there Donald and everyone. I am not too dismayed about what seems to be my scarcity value, though I think it would be a lot more interesting for all of you, and me as well, if there was more input from Scotland on forum. After 2+ days of no forum, I emailed Niall about it, and not long after the forum was restored to all of us, but this could be coincidence.Thank you Niall for allowing us the use of the forum. It is at times like this when we can appreciate what a wonderful facility it is for us to have. We are very fortunate. Regards, Jill
Jill Richmond
Canadian Livingstone

Forum is back

Hi Jill, I know our clan task force is considering improvements regarding the Website and the forum and I look forward to the future. In the mean time these kind of technical glitches happen not too often, so I dont think we need to worry too much. I suggested to Kyle and others that in situations of real or perceived clan related emergencies that we have some sort of emergency communication system with direct access to the Chief. I am not certain however this is economically feasible at this time. There are however alot of good ideas out there to be sure. A lot of people with some good ideas. If there are Livingstons in Scotland we will find them. You can count on that. I know there out there somewhere. They did not all go to Canada or Australia. We need to make them feel that this is their forum too. regards, Donald