Donlad Livingstone 1818-1921 Yorkton Saskatchewan

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Gordon Mills

Post by Gordon Mills »

This thread starts with Neil Livingstone 1792
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Gordon, I am afraid I dont know too much about this family but I can tell you a few things based upon the 1901 Census of Assiniboia District which in 1905 became the Province of Saskatchewan. Donald Livingstone and his wife Euphemia listed as Euphemia McDougal is recorded in 1901 Assiniboia District Census/Sub District Nut Lake Distict 205 Sub District N1 page 2 line 13 and line 14 Film Number T6553 National Archives of Canada According to this census Donald Livingstone age 81 was born December 25,1819 in Scotland and arrived in Canada in the year 1881. His wife is recorded as being Euphemia maiden name McDougal age 77 born in 1823 in Scotland also arrived in Canada in 1881. Living with them is a Russian Dukabor Servant. Listed below Donald and Euphemia Livingstone is a John Livingston born May 7, 1863 age 37 in Scotland arrived in Canada 1881 and his wife Margaret no maiden name listed born March 8, 1871 age 30 born in Ontario, Canada. I would assume this is a son of Donald and Euphemia. Nut Lake District I am not familiar with or Yorkton,Saskatchewan ,but apparently the Yorkton settlement established in the 1880's was part of the York Colony established by a group of businessmen intent on opening up the Canadian West in that decade of the 19th century. In addition to settlers from Ontario, settlers came from Great Britain, Russia etc. Yorkton is somewhere within or near this Nut Lake District as far as can tell. Looks like Euphemia McDougal was his wife in his later years. I will see if I can find your Donald and Euphemia in the Scottish census records when they were living in Scotland. Hope this is of some help to your research.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Gordon, This Livingston family you refer to connected to Croggran I assume is Croggan in Mull. A significant number of highland Livingstons or Livingstones that settled in Canada in the 1800's originated from Mull in Western Argyllshire, Scotland we have found.
Gordon Mills

Post by Gordon Mills »

Thanks for your help and information - Donald. The Donald and Euphemia listing a son John and wife Margaret who my information shows nee McLeod birth dates are the same.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Gordon, Its great to learn about a Saskatchewan Livingston. My ancestor Miles Livingston was one of the first Livingstons to settle in what later became the Province of Manitoba at Lord Selkirk's Red River Settlement in 1812 along with son Donald and another Donald Livingston who became the Red River Colonie's boat builder. Miles chose to be primarily a settler though a few years later when he left for Upper Canada in 1815 he also found employment as a boatbuilder. The census taker wrote on the census Euphemia's maiden name as McDougall so as least we know that Donald's wife when he was 81 in 1901 was without doubt Euphemia McDougall. Before that I dont know. Cant imagine he would of had two wives both with the first name Euphemia. What are the odds of that? regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Gordon, Checked family records of the familysearch.org and there was no info on Donald and Euphemia. Unfortunately I could not find Donald and Euphemia in the 1841,1851, 1861,1871 and 1881 Census in Scotland either. They should have been in there, but perhaps the census data was incomplete in some way. I have contacted Kyle McLea from our society who has access to a large database of Scottish baptismal and birth records to see what he can find regarding Donald Livingston and Euphemia McDougal. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Gordon For the birth dates 1823 the Euphemia Livingston or Effie Livingston there are two on the Isle of Islay at Killarrow and Kildalton Parish. There is also a 1824 baptism at Torosay at Mull. THere are older Euphemia Livingstons on the Isle of Islay born before 1823. regards, Donald
Gordon Mills

Post by Gordon Mills »

Hello Donald As you noted in an earlier response, the odds that Donald had two wives and his second wife had the same first name are something! Interestingly Euphemia was a popular name as Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Gordon, Glad to hear your going to big gathering in Scotland this summer. Our Chief and clan members will be there. I live in Ontario and am unable to attend for health reasons. I appreciate you contacting the society as I am trying to identify and catalogue Canadian Livingtones by province of origin and record them all in a spreadsheet focusing on settlement primarily from 1789 to 1851. regards, Donald
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Do get in touch with the Chief!