Selkirk Settlers 1803 - Belfast - P.E.I.

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Barry, Hector's wife Mary McLean came from Baliacrach which interestingly is also near to Sorne in Northern Mull, Argllshire where Hector Morrison came from. His father Charles Morrison however apparently originated from Morven which just goes to show how Mull and Morven folks are interwoven. It is important that the DNA project consider that Mull folks lived in Morven and that Morven folks could have lived in Mull over the ages. It is indeed tricky sometimes when one tries to pin a geographic origin point for a Mull Livingston family as these people did migrate. regards, Donald
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi All Well just got home from the Belfast Historical Society meeting. It seems that only one of the members I met is a geneology person, and guess what she is a Livingstone.....dumb luck I guess. Her family is from the Little Sands area and is aware one of her father's descendents is reported to have gone to Nova Scotia, but she isn't sure of a name. She has alot of information, and said she will try to gather it up. I invited her to participate in this forum and gave her the address and she said she would. Her name is Joyce. She is really interested in this forum, but she is having computer problems, so she said she would see if she can get on.....she has dialup too. I met one of Hector Morrison's descendents and she gave me a copy of the "Highland Ancestry of Dr. David Livingstone" by Rev. A. Maclean Sinclair. Does everyone have this, or is this something that is hard to come by? All of Hector Morrison's children's families are listed and it says that Hector came to PEI in 1810 and settled in Belfast. I asked about Livingstone's being included in the Selkirk Settlers, and they weren't aware of any. So I found nothing earth shattering, but I made some contacts. They had a presenter this evening do a presentation on the Wood Island's Lighthouse Museum. I do have quite a few relatives that were attending, as it turns out. Barry
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Something interesting worth reading, related to Mull River, Cape Breton. http://www.islandregister.com/1795acampbell.html Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, Thank-you. I enjoyed that.. It has been interesting learning about these PEI and Nova Scotia settlements. regards, DOnald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, Jim St. Clair has likely seen this before but I will ask him about this old Campbell. He likely knows about pioneer families in the Middle River area as well. He has written alot on Cape Breton families in the last 50 years. He has been quite helpful. He knew many local historians who are no longer living and some Livingston oldtimers. regards, Donald
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Yes I found it very interesting as well. I have many questions relating to this....especially since it is from my area, and the minister from Belfast, PEI went there. I wonder if this is the connection with the area that caused so many relatives to show up in that area. I had never heard this story before. Remember Middle River is very close to Whycocomagh. I noticed the article made reference to 500 people on the ship, while the Polly list references 400. The question I have is was there 100 crew onboard the ship, and if so did some of them stay in PEI? This would leave possibly John Lavingston staying on in PEI, since he may have been a Fencible, they were disbanded in 1803. 1803 was the same year John Lavingston acquired land in Georgetown and I know we have speculated in the past he may have been associated with the Selkirk Settlers. St. John's Presbyterian Church apparently had a strong connection with the settlers in Middle River. So they moved there in 1812. This is a similar story of Angus, George, and Malcolm
Canadian Livingstone

Hi ROberta, Did the information state what port these ships arrived at in 1803? I cant find this records in the PEI book that I have. regards, Donald
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Good morning Donald; Well, the page is titled as I posted; then a one page listing, in two columns of names.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, If you could when you have the time try and get a copy of any documentation relating to this John Lavingston or Lavington that received land from Lord Selkirk in 1803, and any wills or land documents from the widow and land records of the possible sons ALexander and Malcolm. Most importantly track the land records pertaining to John Lavingstons grant on lot 53, Kings County and see if someone in the land records office or someone in the genealogy society who has experience with land records in Kings County can help you. We have in Ontario a Abstract Deed Index for each lot in each concession for almost every township in each County. You can usually trace who was the original grantee from the Crown in the late 1700's or early 1800's and follow year by year in the 1800's and early 1900's who bought and sold the land thereafter. Very useful for tracking how long a particular family was living on a specific lot. I dont know how land records were organized in PEI but someone will know how you can trace what John Lavingston did with this lot on lot 53. Other records related to this lot may list when he or his family got a patent on the land transfered it or sold it. Also thes possible later records should list perhaps the proper Livingston spelling to confirm that JOhn Lavington was really John Livingston. It is vital that we proove that John Lavington was really John Livingston and think someone may be able to do that and assist us on that. regards, DOnald
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

On the other hand, Donald;