Selkirk Settlers 1803 - Belfast - P.E.I.

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald; I discovered a list, sent to me by cousin Jewel; about 6 year ago. Ships are the Polly, Dykes and Oughton--Immigrant Ships. There are 104 names of heads of household. One of the names is Hector Morrison. There are no Livingston/es' on the list. Regards; Roberta
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Roberta, Hector Morrison was a brother of Mary Morrison of Mull who married Neil Livingston b. before 1746 in 1774 at Lettermore near Tobermory,Kilninian and Kilmore Parish, Mull (not to be confused with Lettermore near Ballachulish). Hector would Dr. Livingstone's great Uncle. William Blaikie biographer of Dr. Livingstone was told by one of Dr. Livingstone's sisters that they had relatives in PEI without being specific. I would assume she was thinking of her great Uncle Hector Morrison and family who settled in the Belfast PEI area. While rumors always seem to be out there regarding other possible family connections this is one connection that was known by Dr. Livingston's family. regards, Donald
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald: Of course I agree with your reply and know of the lineage you discribe re:
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta, If you found that there is a copy of an passenger list stating he arrived in 1803 then I would suspect it may be correct. Perhaps 1810 is when he acquired a a certain lot. I may have that passenger list somewhere. I will check. regards' Donald
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

I can add this to the list of things to ask when I find out when the next Belfast Historical Society meeting is. I hope to go. A good friend of mine is a Morrison and he lives in Mt. Buchanan. It may be the same family, so I'll pick his brain too. Barry
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

I called one of the Belfast Historical Society members tonight. There is a meeting Thursday night. Apparently they are aware of the Dr. Livingstone connection to Hector Morrison and there are descendents in Pt. Prim. She told me their names, but I didn't write them down. Hopefully I will find out more Thursday night. Donald, I'll ask about the Reverend that did the Dr. Livingstone research too. Now I have to get my notes all sorted out. Should be interesting. Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, That will be interesting. Seeing as thought you lived in the Belfast,PEI I figured you might be able to find out something. I was curious about the Morrison-Livingston connection which I had read about and had seen some Morrison family trees linking them to Dr. Livingstone's grandmother Mary Morrison of Mull wife of Neil Livingston. Reverend Sinclair McLean contacted Dr. Livingstone's brother John Livingstone of Listowel, Ontario in the 1890's and wrote and article on Dr. Livingstone's family which was published in the Celtic Monthly. regards, Donald
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Yep It is on my list. I hope that maybe there are some people that are Livingstone descendents that I didn't know about. Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, My understanding is that Hector Morrison son of Charles Morrison and Margaret McDougall was born in 1759 and lived at Sorne not Some in Northern Mull. (CHecked it out on a map) Now Sorne interestly enough is just a little north of Lettermore where his sister Mary MOrrison married Dr. Livingstone's grandfather Neil Livingston Sr in 1774 and where the eldest children of Neil Livingston and Mary Morrison were baptised. So presumingly Neil and Mary lived in the Lettermore, Northern Mull vicinity before moving on to the Isle of Ulva where they lived until they left Ulva for Blantyre, Lanarkshire County, Scotland where Neil found work in a cotton mill. Getting back to Mary's brother HEctor, I understood that Hector arrived in PEI in 1810 taking up land at Lot 60 in the Belfast area. But as Roberta has pointed out there is also information in the form of a passenger list that Hector probably arrived several years earlier in 1803. Hopefully you can help us sort that out with your Belfast area historians. regards, DOnald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, Hector's wife Mary McLean came from Baliacrach which interestingly is also near to Sorne in Northern Mull, Argllshire where Hector Morrison came from. His father Charles Morrison however apparently originated from Morven which just goes to show how Mull and Morven folks are interwoven. It is important that the DNA project consider that Mull folks lived in Morven and that Morven folks could have lived in Mull over the ages. It is indeed tricky when one tries to pin a geographic origin point for Livingston family or any other Scottish family as these people did migrate. regards, Donald