Selkirk Settlers 1803 - Belfast - P.E.I.

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

The Alexander, Donald and John Livingston living at Lot 65, Queens County, PEI in 1841 are all sons of the late Donald Livingston 1751-1840 of LOt 65 Queens, County PEI and his wife Mary. Donald Sr. and family lived in Mull in Western Argyllshire, Scotland before leaving for PEI in 1806 but originated in neighbouring Morven where my Livingstons are said to have come from. The forum was contacted by a descendant of this Livingstonn family not so long ago. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, I assume from the 1841 Census that John Livingston of lot 53 Selkirk lot died before 1841 and in 1841 his widow (Sally or Sarah? as you have stated) is living at Lot 54 Kings County with her son Alexander also a widower and a son of Alexander? A closer study of the land records you mentioned might tell us more about what happened to the JOhn Llivingston that was on Lot 53 and when he left LOt 53. Also when Alexander arrived on lot 54. regards, Donald
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi Donald I found their entire family tree here. http://www.islandregister.com/livingston1.html Many hours of work to get to this point. I think it was a group of people. I have not found any possible link to these families, but I am not discounting anything. Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, I was in contact with Mr. Collins a few years back. He has done alot of research on Donald Livingston who arrived in PEI in 1806 with his adult sons and settled in Lot 65, Queens County. One of Donald's descendants has been in touch with the forum a while back. I dont know how these highland Livingstons who settled in PEI and Nova Scotia connect as relatives, though they may well be related. Certainly some of them were or least some historians speculated that they were. regards, Donald
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi Donald I was reading the preview of "Silver Chief" on the Google site. I noticed in lot 60, there is a mention of John Cameron settling in Flat River, Lot 60. I wonder if this is the same John Cameron, who I found had land transferred to him from John Livingstone in 1806. I had assumed it was the lot in Georgetown, because I didn't know there was another John Livingstone on PEI that early. We already have evidence of a John Livingstone in lot 60. .......................... The book has Donald and John Livingstone of lot 31 as Selkirk Settlers too. I wasn't aware that this area would be regarded as Selkirk Settlers. Does anyone have the complete book, and story of the lists of families. I can't see if the book is noting this list as Selkirk settlers, or just a list of settlers to PEI for those years. The preview also doesn't have lot 60 in it either. http://books.google.com/books/p/dundurn ... h#PPA40,M1 Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, I have a copy of the book "Silver Chief" by Lucille Campey. She also has written a book on Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia scottish settlement that you might find worth purchasing. I ordered my Campey books or some of them from PEI Books I believe. Yes Silver Chief refers to Lord Selkirk. I think this is one of the best books written on Lord Selkirk and anyone interested in Selkirk's PEI and Red River settlement history will find it extremely well researched and informative. A personal favourite of mine. Glad you mentioned it. I must admit I will to get out my copy to look up that information on the PEI Livingstons. Perhaps I did not notice that. Thanks again. Mr Collins mentions some kin on Lot 31; I thought that some the Lot 65 Livingstons settled on Lot 31 but I would have to check with Mr. Collins on that. regards, Donald
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi Everyone Here is another note of the John "Livingston" in Georgetown. http://www.islandregister.com/letters/1803suckles.html Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, Thats a nice find. Ok we know from this document that John Livingston may have petitioned the Lieutenant Govenor Edmund Fanning in PEI for land in 1803 around Georgetown in Kings County as this Bembo Suckells did or one way or another ended up with a parcel of land in 1803 in someway near or connected to Bembo Suckells and you have found specific details which will be useful to bring up at the next Historical society meeting for further clarification. In any event one piece in the John Livingston 1803 puzzle. I am making a note of the detailed information which are fairly certain was in the Georgetown area I think. This should make it easier to track this John Livingston in subsequent land transactions in the Georgetown area. This plus those land records pertaining this John in the archives will be a big help.
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi Donald Yes I thought this was helpful. Also it had him as John Livingston and not Lavingston. A couple of corrections. I checked my original posting and please take note that this is correct. ................ I found another transfer today, and I think John might have transferred his holdings in Georgetown to Donald Cameron in 1806. It was a very short document, only half a page with few details, even the location was not detailed. In a previous message in my list of deeds there was a Malcolm Livingston deed in 1806. This Malcolm was from, I hope this spelling is right, Maleguant, Sydney, Nova Scotia. Best I can tell he was a merchant in Charlottetown. ................................. I cannot gurantee that Sally's son from lot 53 is the same Malcolm noted above. I had forgotten this had come from two sources. Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, The earlier records refer to one of the original Malcolm Livingstons while the other Malcolm connected to the Lot 53 family was a son of pioneer John Livingston of lot 53 and his wife Sally? or something like that. So yes there was more than one Malcolm in the records. More than one John also in the early records of PEI and Nova Scotia. regards, Donald