Selkirk Settlers 1803 - Belfast - P.E.I.

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Jewel Brown1

Post by Jewel Brown1 »

Hello Donald, The file that I have was sent to me from the Beaton Institute of Cape Breton from their Archival Researcher, Anne MacLean in 2003. The title of the file is "Early Immigration (from United Kingdom) to P.E.I. 1769-1878" This includes ship names, Captain (some), Embarked, Destination and Date, and some family names for each ship. There are about 60 ships named.
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald; "Prince Edward Island, Past and Present" published by B. F. Bowen & Co., Charlottown; edited by D. A. MacKinnon & A. B. Warburton, 1906. Page 326 John Campbell, a well known citizen and prosperous farmer at Mt. Buchanan, Lot 57 and who was born on the farm where he now lives; is the son of Roderick and Ann (Morrison) Campbell.
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Roberta, That pretty much reinforces the 1810 date I would think. Thanks for all the research. I am sure others were puzzled by this. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jewel, Thank-you for that. If ever have a chance to get a copy of Lucille Campey's book's on PEI and Nova Scotia Scottish settlement she has included a number of passenger lists and a list of ships that transported settlers to these provinces early on. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta, There was information on a reconstructed list of the early settlers from 1803 that arrived on the Polly etc. produced in 1903. I noticed on the same page from the Island Register Hector Morrison was mentioned on a petition from the year 1811. THere may have been some confusion that Hector Morrison was one of the original 1803 pioneers but that clearly was not the case. THe 1810 arrival date appears to be correct. regards, Donald
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

The Polly landed close to what is called Halliday's wharf, which is very close to the Selkirk Provinicial Park. I would not call it a port by any stretch of the imagination. The original settlement from what I have heard is also around the Selkirk provincial park. There is an old french cemetery at the park and there are some selkirk settlers buried there, but not all graves are marked. A large portion of the settlers settled in the Point Prim area. For this area the Polly is the ship that landed here. Barry
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

The Sinclair article says that Hector arrived in PEI in 1810?? and died in 1849 at the age of 90. This would disagree with Hector arriving on the Polly, or his return. I'll check with the society they amy know the story behind this. Barry
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi Donald I found this. It is a pretty good list of the resources we have available for tracing the Livingstone's in PEI. http://www.lib.byu.edu/fslab/pdf/resear ... Island.pdf Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, That is a great summary of the research resources available to the PEI family researcher. I would like to check the 1841 PEI Census for Kings and Queen County somedayand record the list of all Livingstons and where they were located. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, Thanks for that info. regards, Donald