Dr David Livingston

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!

Dr David Livingston

Postby J Cameron » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:43 am

Can anyone help with my family tree as we have a link with Dr D Livingston. My connection is through Angus Livingston B19/10/1769 M Margaret Hall Mcphail 1806? in Mull. I would be grateful if you have information on this family tree
J Cameron

Dr David Livingston

Postby Kyle2 MacLea » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:39 pm

Hi J Cameron, There are many families with possible links to Dr. Livingston's family, although as far as we are aware none are direct descendants in the male line of the Dr himself.
Kyle2 MacLea

Dr David Livingston

Postby Canadian Livingstone » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:18 pm

Hello J. Cameron, Welcome to Maclea Livingstone forum. As Kyle has said there are no direct descendants of Dr. David Livingstone with the family name Livingstone. According to his older John Livingstone (1811-1899) of Listowel, Ontario, Canada in a letter to Reverend Sinclair McLean in the 1890's he stated that his Uncles were John, Charles, Duncan and Donald Livingston. Little unfortunately is known about these brothers of Blantyre, Scotland tea dealer Neil Livingstone father of Dr. David. Presumingly the entire family including John, Charles, Duncan, Donald, Neil left the highlands in 1792 with their father and mother Neil Livingston b. before 1745 and his wife Mary Morrison for Blantyre,Lanarkshire in the lowlands of Scotland. We do know that one Uncle Charles Livingston was working in Glasgow and was forcibly compelled to join the British Navy during the Napoleonic Wars and died somewhere in the Mediterian. It is also said that the other brothers except for Dr. Livingston's served either in the Army or Navy during the Napoleonic Wars. I dont know that any other Uncles were killed during the War, though details regarding the Uncles in any of the biographies I have seen so far is basically nonexistent regretably. Everyonce in a while someone will state they believe they are related to one of the Uncles or a great Uncle but no tangible evidence or information has emerged so far to conclusively prove this. Regarding Angus Livingston b. abt.1773 of Boularderie Island, Cape Breton being an Uncle of Dr. Livingstone this is not likely to be the case given that he did not have an Uncle named Angus according to Dr. Livingstone's family. Anne Capstick who a few years ago did extensive research on Cape Breton pioneer, Angus Livingstone and his Livingstones of Boularderie Island states that "the claim that Angus was an Uncle of famous Dr. David Livingstone of Africa is not supported by evidence." All that being said, it is conceivable that Angus Livingston's father could have been a great Uncle and perhaps in this way Angus could have a been a cousin. I dont know that to be the case, but I have been thinking that some of these Mull Livingstones that settled in Canada, the U.S, Australia and New Zealand could possibly be connected through a great Uncle if not by an Uncle of Dr. David Livingstone. I am curious if any Mull Livingstons or other Livingstones from Argyllshire connect to Dr. Livingstones. We have a DNA project underway to see, among other things, if any Livingstones out there might be a genetic match with a descendant of Dr. Livingstone's brother. THere are many descendants of Dr. Livingstone's older brother JOhn living in Canada and the United States. I dont know about the family of Dr. Livingstone's other brother Reverend Charles Livingstone who lived in the New York State or New England I think. Charles was in Africa with Dr. Livingstone for a while. I am trying to find out about any descendant of this brother. So far nothing. I am hoping to sort this out shortly. While his older brother John encouraged his brother David to seek a higher education, providing him with financial assistance, John himself had no inclination for a career in medicine or missionary work in Africa. John and his wife left for Canada a few years after David left for Africa. After living in Lanark County, ONtario for a several years, John and his family moved to the town of Listowel, in Perth County, ONtario where John Livingstone prospered as a town merchant and where he died and was buried in 1899. regards, Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Canadian Livingstone

Dr David Livingston

Postby Canadian Livingstone » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:16 am

Hello J Cameron, I have an Angus Livingstone of Mull said to be born abt. 1773 who married a Margaret McPhail a Napoleonic War vet who settled at Boularderie Island on Cape Breton, Nova Scotia circa 1819. Perhaps this is not the Angus Livingston you are related to. There is some information on this Angus Livingston's descendants but by no means a complete family tree do we have as yet. I dont have any information on any other Angus Livingston and Margaret McPhail. Hope its the right one. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Dr David Livingston

Postby Canadian Livingstone » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:15 am

Hi Kyle, See Keith Livingston's message from November 11, 2006. It is Keith's theory that the Angus Livingston b.1773 that came to Cape Breton in 1819 and settled on Boularderie Island is his ancestor. In making a link to families in Scotland connected to an Angus Livingston listed as an army pensioner b.abt.1781 and Margaret McPhail one in particular living on Jura near Colonsay in the 1841 Census it does not quite add up. The Angus that settled in Cape Breton is older and had children that do not match with this family at all. There is no evidence that they are same family. There is an understanding that the Angus Livingston b.1773 was a Chelsea Pensioneer and served during the Napoleonic Wars but I think he is being confused with another Angus Livingston that lived in Scotland some 20 or so after he left. I found the Angus Livingston b.1781 and Margaret b.1786 with children James age 25,Hugh age 20 Ann 15 and Jean age 11 in the 1841 Scottish census in Jura Parish. Regarding the Gavin Livingston born in 1835 that Keith mentions in the November 11, 2006 forum message there is one Gavin Livingston born in 1835 in the Scottish Census of 1841 in West Lothian County, Livingston Parish. His mother is listed as Agnes age 40 born abt. 1801. No father listed. Gavin has a brother James age 10 and brother John age 8 and a gentleman named John Stewart age 70 is living with them. Also living in Livingston Parish nearby is an old cotton weaver born abt. 1873 or 1780 depending on the 1841 or 1851 census who according the 1851 Census originated from Kilpinghon, Argyllshire in the highlands. I have no idea where this is and it could be a spellling error. Whether or not this old Duncan has any connection to Gavin I cant say as they are not living in the same household. But since there were next to no Livingstons living in Livingston Parish in the census years of 1841 and 1851 then it is possible the two Livington households I found could be connected somehow. As Keith mentioned that his ancestors were weavers they could connect somehow to this Duncan. Odd coincidence that oldest Livingston I could find living near to this Gavin Livingston born in 1835 was a weaver. Anyways if you can work with Keith on sorting out his family tree perhaps you
Canadian Livingstone

Dr David Livingston

Postby Canadian Livingstone » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:27 am

Hi Kyle, I just had a brilliant brain wave. The Kilpinhon, Argyll where Duncan Livingston born 1773 or 1780 cotton weaver at HLW in Livingston Parish, West Lothian County was born at could be Kilfinichen Parish where Keith found birth records of the children of an Angus Livingston and Margaret Hall. Perhaps Kilpinhon and Kilfinichen is a bit of stretch though. I will see if I can find any other parishes or towns to Kilpinhon. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Dr David Livingston

Postby Kyle2 MacLea » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:36 pm

I'd have to look and I won't have time for awhile, but it seems plausible. I was thinking Kilfinan parish, Argyll, or Kilfinichen/Kilvickeon on Mull.
Kyle2 MacLea

Dr David Livingston

Postby J Cameron » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:42 am

Thank you very much for all the information, i am sure it is the same Angus Livingston & Margaret McPhail we had been told he was a Chelsea Pensioner. They had 6 children, daughter Ann was married to my GGgrandfather again our information was that she was a cousin of Dr D Livingston, our Grandfather had items handed down the family that belonged to Dr D Livingstone thats why we always believed there was a connection somewhere. Sorry i didn't reply earlier, thanks again
J Cameron

Dr David Livingston

Postby Kyle2 MacLea » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:12 am

We would love to hear more about the items in your family as well--if you can share any information, we'd love to hear it! Let us know if we can help further as well! Kyle=
Kyle2 MacLea

Dr David Livingston

Postby Roberta Ann » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:19 pm

Hello; Could this be the Angus: Angus Livingston b. 1775 father Neil Livinston Mother not given Married Margaret Hall - no date Children no dates- Hugh, Ann, John, Betty, Cirsty, Duncan, Jane and 1 called Unknown. Source OPR Kilfinichen --
Roberta Ann

Next

Return to Old Forum Archive