Peter Livingston of Port Appin Update

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

At long last the microfilm copy of the old Lismore and Appin Parish records finally arrived at my library. In a section of the old Appin Parish book intitled " Register of Christning Parish of Appin Commencing 1790" there is an entry stating that "Peter son to Duncan Livingston and Catherine McNa? (McNab?) at Port Appin was baptised April 17,1796." The information that he born or baptised on April 17, 1797 would not be correct. The 1796 baptismal date would work with the 1851 Scottish census record information which shows our Port Appin Shoemaker Peter Livingston as being 54 years of age possibly in his 55th year of life. There was no baptismal information for any other Peter Livingston from Port Appin circa the 1790's. regards, Donald
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Thanks for checking this, Donald.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kyle, I have the reel till the third week of May so that should not be problem checking the rest. The first part of the APpin baptisms were hard to read but this 1796 is quite clear. It should be easy working with the dates that ROb had just comparing. I hope to take a look at the marriage records for Appin as well. See if I can find Duncan and Catherine's marriage record perhaps. In terms of the DNA descendants of Peter Livingston the Port Appin Shoemaker just having been in the Appin area for hundreds of years would possibly be match for Niall's family given that I think Appin Livingstons would be by a large a match with the Lismore Livingstons given the fact that Appin was the ancestral homeland of the Baron's kin in Argyllshire centuries agos. Appin as we are reminded in fact means Abbey lands and it is reminder of our clans eclesiastical origins in this area as I am reminded by my ancestors names Miles Livingston - Miles being Maelmoire devoted or tonsured servant of Mary or something like that. On the other hand if Peter's family have roots on Lismore then they would also naturally be a likely match the Bachuil Livingstone DNA. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

HI Kyle, I tell you Kyle trying to read and properly spell some of the villages in the Lismore and Appin records is a
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Totally agree with you--farm names in Bute also gave me a lot of trouble since they all come from Gaelic. Kyle=
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kyle, Yes that is exactly right. The villages with gaelic names are a challenge enough and the writing is sometimes difficult to read. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Virginia, How are you? Yes at long last the Appin Parish records arrived. Appin and neighbouring Lismore are adjacent to each other and both have a historical connection to the Baron's ancestors and kin in the area so both Baron Niall Livingstone and Michael could be a DNA match to other Livingstones from both locations. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Virginia, I was happy to help assist you and Michael in your pursuit of Livingston family history information. I would hope that you and your cousin Michael Livingstone would drop by the forum more often and consider in the future becoming members in our Clan Maclea Livingstone Society. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Indeed "Appin" means Abbey lands and prior to the 1500's the Barons of Bachuil and kin still occupied extensive acreage in the Appin area and vicinity before the Campbells and Stewarts of Appin made moves on their ancient land granted them by the old Celtic Church a long time ago. So the possiblitiy that Appin Livingstones and the Isle of Lismore are a DNA match should not be too suprising. It does not neccessarily mean that Appin area Livingstons originated in recent times from the Isle of Lismore though that is also a possibility. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

There were only a relative few Appin Livingston marriages from the old Parish collection i was looking at from the period of 1767 to 1819 including our Port Appin Shoemaker Peter Livingston Peter Livingston and Flory MacColl at Port Appin, both of this parish December 21,1817