Peter Livingston of Port Appin Update

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
PatGill

Post by PatGill »

My Great Grandmother, Mary Livingston was a daughter of Peter Livingston, Shoemaker, Port Appin and Flory McColl. She went to Glasgow where she married Alexander McIntosh.
vkadams

Post by vkadams »

Nice to meet you cousin.
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Pat, Welcome to the Maclea Livingstone forum. Youve arrived at the right place if your looking for descendants of Peter Livingstone shoemaker of Port Appin. If you notice there has been a fair bit of discussion and information enchanged regarding Peter Livingston and his son Angus in particular in previous postings to the forum which may be of interest to you. Virginia is a descendant of Peter and has done alot of research on this family. There is also Michael Livingstone another descendant of Peter Livingstone who drops by the forum from time to time. One of his sons Angus settled in Ontario Canada which was of interest to me as I am researching Pioneer Canadian Livingstons. I am certain any info on your ancestor would be welcome by those researching Peter Livingston. I recently checked the original Appin parish book and it stated he was baptised in April of 1797 not 1796 as was earlier submitted to the Society a several years ago. The complete date is on a recent posting from me a few weeks back. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Virginia, How are you? There are unfortunately only christenings recorded in the old Appin Parish book so none of the information on your Peter Livingston of Port Appin and his family from this source will provide us with birth dates. Alot these Argyllshire Parishes do not seem to have included birth dates regretably just baptisms and marriages I have found. I have in some cases lots of baptisms for my Scottish ancestors and all to few birth records. regards, Donald
vkadams

Post by vkadams »

Unfortunately, I have had a string of deaths in friends close to me...I check the forum to see what is new but have not been talking too much...a change for me, I know!!
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Virginia, I am very sorry to hear that. It is sad and difficult time no doubt for family and friends. My wife has two friends with cancer, one in particular with tumors and a blood disease that shows no signs of improving. She cant have treatments again until they build up her blood and every attempt to do so seems not to be working. My wife is trying to give her hope but we are fearing the worst. Once you get past fifty I guess life is really is gift you should never take for granted because you never know when especially when you reach this age what can happen to you health wise. The best defence is start taking good care of your health, eat well and excecise a lot before your 50 or you may well pay for the neglect after 50. Ok my advice for the day which has nothing to with Livingston family history but which may keep you living long and healthy life to enjoy your Livingston family history. regards, Donald
PatGill

Post by PatGill »

Donald Many thanks for this. From my research at the General Register Office in Edinburgh I was able to obtain a copy of the original entry of my GGGrandfather Peter Livingston's Christening on 17 April 1796.
MICHAEL LIVINGSTONE

Post by MICHAEL LIVINGSTONE »

Hello Cousin Pat It is fascinating to hear from you. Very nice to have some more information to allow us to add to our family history. I have very limited data on Peter Livingston's children other than some names and other minor info. My information has
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Pat, Did the death certificate state where your Peter Livingston died in 1856? Was it in Appin? The researcher who submitted a few years back to the Maclea Livingstone Society copied the baptismal date as 1796 but I made a photocopy of the original Appin Parish book and it states on the page PEter was baptised in 1797. This researcher stated the parents were Duncan Livingston and Catharine McNab. I checked the original record but and Saw Duncan Livingston and Catharine McN or McNa . I could read the rest of the name. I could tell if was McNab or McNichol to be honest. The original record keeper in the 1790's litterally ran of page and did not get the last few letters in a way that is legible. All I can make out for certain was Duncan Livingston and Catherine McN or McNa? I have not been able figure out where Peter Livingston's parents Duncan and Catharine
vkadams

Post by vkadams »

Correction from previous post: Peter was buried in plot owned by Duncan Livingston Deceased, Catherine Livingston deceased. Duncan Livingston was not the informant as previously stated...Sometimes my brain works faster than my fingers.