Livingston's in New York have connection to PEI (18th century)

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi All Anyone know anything more about this. http://books.google.com/books?id=nxXRjL ... 1-PA152,M1 Georgetown would fit the bill for the destination of this ship. It is the deepest port on PEI to my knowledge. This may be a plausible connection to John Lavingston/Livingston in Georgetown, although we have no evidence to back it up. It has a Fanning connection too. Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Barry, Yet another interesting find you bring to the forum. Thanks for that. I dont know much about our friend Edmund Fanning but I assume he was in PEI well before Selkirk's efforts to settle highlanders there in 1803. This is an interesting question though? I assume that most of those that settled on Selkirks land were Scottish highlanders, but I dont know about everyone who took up settlement there. Most of the New york State Livingstons were supported George Washington you should be aware of so there were not too many loyalist Livingstons to my knowledge that came up from New York State. Daniel Livingston was the principal one in Upper Canada. But that is the question then. Was this John Lavington/Livingston a highlander like the rest or an Empire Loyalist. He would be a bit late as most of the loyalists came up and were granted land by the 1790's. regards, DOnald
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi All Essentially Three Rivers is Georgetown, just opposite sides of the river. See the text around page 152 for the mention of the Livingston's of New York, and the connection to the Patterson's. I wonder if anyone has a Loyalist list for PEI? Barry
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Wait I Found a list and I'll have a look at it. Barry
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Here is a livingston/Patterson connection on PEI. http://www.islandregister.com/patterson1.html I checked the Loyalist list I found and there are no Livingston's, but there is a Liston, but I don't think it is related to this. Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, I think we can sort out whether or not John Livingston was a PEI Loyalist from the States. I think the answer is probably no. He is likely from Mull like most of the rest. regards, Donald
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald; I disagree with you re: Lot 60; John Livingston and your conclusion.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi ROberta, No I agree with you. No I am supporting the notion in my previous statement that John Livingston who received Selkirk Land from Edmund Fanning in 1803 is likely not a UEL settler but a Scottish settler from Mull ie possibly a selkirk settler circa 1803. Sorry for any confusion on that. This is precisely what Barry and I are trying to locate records in the PEI archives to prove. We are hoping we can get copies of the early documents to prove that he was a Selkirk settler. That is our hope anyways and if so get him the recognition in PEI he deserves. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

HI Roberta, Actually it is John lavingston/Livingston who received land from Edmund Fanning in 1803 on Selkirk land we were talking about. And it was on lot 53, Kings County, PEI. Barry believes that his son Alexander later took settlement on Lot 54. Not that we arent interested in Donald Livingston of Queens County and the other PEI pioneers but this John Livingstone from 1803 that Barry mentioned when he went to the PEI archives has had my interest for the past couple of weeks. We believe that John or his wife Sarah/Sally had got rid of Lot 53 land and one way or another one of the sons ended up on Lot 54. Finally Barry mentioned he found a land transaction from 1806 between John Livingston and John Cameron. Perhaps he sold him some land on lot 53. Dont know until I see the document but I am hoping we can find out when John got rid of his land on lot 53. Barry found the will of John's wife Sarah or Sally as well. And one of the sons was living on lot 54 Alexander we think. In the later census there is a grandson Joseph on Lot 54. regards, Donald
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi Roberta and Donald This is somewhat intriquing, and would be really weird if it all was related. I went to the Polly cemetery the other day to see my great great grandmother's grave. She was a Ross and a Polly passenger. She married Archibald Kelly from Uigg. They had a daughter, Catherine who was my great grandfather's (Angus Livingstone) wife. Now right beside her headstone was almost an identical one, and it was Effie Livingstone, the wife of John Livingstone. Also their one year old daughter was there on the headsone too, Christiana. Now I'm betting there is a connection with John Livingstone and Sarah Ross. Selkirk settlers? Hmmm.....I don't know, but it would be quite a find if he was. Entirely possible. If memory serves me correctly she died at the age of 24 and I think around 1853, but I'll have to check. Barry