Livingston's in New York have connection to PEI (18th century)

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Barry, Who is Sarah Ross? Was That Lot 53 Selkirk lot John Livingstone's wife Sarah/Sally? Ithought old John's wife died in 1853 according to the will you found? She would be pretty old in 1853 if she arrived with John at PEI in 1803 wouldnt you agree. Are you sure the 1853 will is for old JOhn's widow. She would not be 24 in 1853 I wouldnt think if she arrived with her husband John in 1803. You gotta help me on this one Barry Im confused. regards, Donald
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi Donald This history involves so many Johns. Right now I can count at least 6. I know it is so confusing, I don't know if I will ever figure them out. I didn't think this was relevent with the direction I was going so I hadn't written it down before when I saw it, so I went back to the Polly Cemetery yesterday to get the proper dates. I had not clued in to the John Livingstone in the 1841 census been from Belfast. ................ Effie Kelly was the wife of John Livingston and she died Sept. 29, 1875, at the age of 25 years. She is buried in the
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, Let start with the earliest settlement locations and then see where they went from there. Where their descendants settled is important but I think it is critical to get a handle of where they first settled and what the earliest surviving records tell us. Donald Livingston of Lot 65 had family who had some connection to lot 31 so the Livingston on lot 31 might be connected to him. There is a Donald Livingston expert in Ontario who might be able shed some light on the LOt 31 Livingston for us if I contact him. Dont know off hand about the Lot 30 or Lot 60 Livingston . Dont know about Livingston settling in PEI from Colonsay, most of them originated from Mull I thought. There were others families that probably originated from both Mull and Colonsay. Are you speaking of cemetery stones
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi Donald Apparently there were Livingstone's from Colonsay in the Murray River area according to this link. http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~hotel ... ornb9.html See the ship list of the Spencer. http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~pictou/lilsands.htm It looks like the Murray River/Little Sands Livingstones were from Colonsay. When I was speaking to Joyce, who was a Livingstone, at the Belfast Historical Society meeting, she said that her descendent's headstone said he was from Colonsay and she is from the Murray River area. I found a headstone in the index cards at the Provincial archives and another John Livingstone. He is from Colonsay. This John Livingstone is not in my previous list. The inscription read: John Livingstone died Jan 1, 1869 Age 71 Native of Colonsay, Scotland Wife Margaret MacLeod, died April 24, 1903 Age 88 I know we didn't need another John Livingstone. Boy they sure liked that name but it makes our job much harder. Barry
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi Donald Just found this article. It has some very interesting information about the Selkirk Settlers. It is worth a read. It talks about the Colonsay settlers settled in Murray River area. http://www.islandregister.com/colonsay_selkirk.html Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, John was a very popular name for highland Livingstons it would seem. There was a Baron John Livingston, in the late 1700's and early 1800's on the Isle of Lismore, the current Baron and Clan Chief's ancestor. Also Dr. Livingstones grandfather's eldest son was John Livingstone b.1777 and dr. Livingstone's eldest brother was a John Livingstone. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, Many settlers came from Isle of Skye, Mull and Colonsay to PEI. Most of the Livingstons came from Mull but there may have been the odd one from Colonsay. I also have John Livingston and Margaret McLeod from Colonsay. I thought they settled at Bell River but they have ended up elsewhere. Do know where Bell River is in PEI? Thanks for cemetery information on John and Margaret. I will add it to what I have on the Canadian Livingston spreadsheet. regards, DOnald
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi Donald Is Effie a short form of Margaret? Belle River is the very next community right beside me and is lot 60. I have checked the cemeteries in the area last weekend and cannot find any other Livingstones. If you check the lsit of Spencer settlers there are two Livingstone women. Wouldn't they have had husbands? Barry Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, I dont know about that. I assumed it was a short form for Euphemia. So this John Livingston and Margaret McLeod or their family lived at Lot 60 if they were at Bell River? It is handy having a PEI person with first hand knowledge of the province. The soil in PEI is quite red. I assume perhaps an high iron content and Anne of Green Gables of storybook fame had red hair. What a coincidence. I wonder if the Lucy Maude Mongomery figured that one out when she wrote the book. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, Euphemia comes from Saint Euphemia a saint from the third century who lived near Constantinople during the era of the Emperor Diocletian. Interesting story behind the name. regards, Donald