Livingston's in New York have connection to PEI (18th century)

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi Donald You are right the red soil is from the iron oxide in the soil. Very few places on PEI have a soil that is a different color. The Dundas area has a very muddy red soil, while our area is a very sandy red soil and farmers here are at least two weeks ahead of the farmers in the Dundas area. I have to admit I have yet to go see the Anne musical. Three of my children have red hair, and my daughter who won an Anne look alike contest when she was small, has read all of the books. My daughter worked on the ferry as a tour guide a few years ago and she had a few tourists who didn't know that the Anne books are fiction. I don't think they believed her....they were somewhat upset with her. Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Barry, How is the red soil for growing crops? I guess the worldwide popularity of Anne of Green Gables has been good for tourism. My wife and I celebrated her 50th birthday with a lobster dinner, though I cant say which province the lobster came from or even if it came from Canada. I really never ate much lobster, but my wife's family are nuts about seafood. I quite like shrimp, crab and lobster but I draw the line at snails and clams. To low on the food chain for me and slimy looking. My wife loves escargo. It reminds me too much of slugs in the garden. When we are able to get a hold of those two records from the early 1800's pertaining to John Lavingston/Livingston I would like the historical society to look at them and see if they have any knowledge of this 1803 John Livingston or Lavingston as a selkirk settler in PEI or has he been ignored. It would be great if we could successfully sort out the mystery regarding this early Livingston pioneer of PEI and connect to him to his descendants. regards, Donald
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi Donald PEI has been called the million acre farm. The soil is ideal for farming, although the top soil is shallow in spots. PEI has a major problem with soil erosion and measures are being adopted to minimize the effect of water run off. I find it ironic that settlers left PEI to go to Cape Breton because of the reported better agricultural potential. Maybe some areas of Cape Breton, but PEI is by far some of the best agricultural land in Atlantic Canada. I have never had escargo, and don't eat raw oysters. I like scallops and clams though. Mussels are good too. Yep looking to getting the Livingstone's sorted out too. Looking forward to getting back to the Archives. I work all week, but when my 12 hour shifts start I'll have a stretch of 9 days off every 5 weeks. I'm looking forward to that. I certainly have learned alot about my Scottish heritage in the last few months. Barry
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald; In 1768 Lt. Govenor Francklyn of Nova Scotia ordered the Island of St. John's first Census; which was dispatched to the Lord Hillsborough.
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi Roberta Interestingly, lot 59, is in the Montague area. Now Montague River is one of three rivers that represent "Three Rivers", of which Georgetown is at the head of the three rivers, Montague, Cardigan, and Brudenell rivers. So our John Lavingston in Georgetown and William Lavingston are very close in proximity, and would share the same fishing grounds....even today they do. Recently there has been an interest in the history of the De Roma settlement in Three Rivers. They have built a couple of buildings to represent the structures of the day, and have walking paths around the site, where the original buildings were. They have done excavations in some of the areas too. I will stop there this summer and see what documents they have regarding the settlers in the area at the time. My wife and I went to a feast there a few years ago and they roasted a whole pig on a spit. That was an interesting sight! http://www.roma3rivers.com/ Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, Yes Indeed the "Silver Chief " book by Lucille Campey has a list of early PEI settlers that were apparently Selkirk Settlers and included in this list is Donald Livingston with 100 acres
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, I think that is something that all of us, decendants of Scottish Livingstones/livingstons share. Though we are somewhat removed from the highlands we still have this desire to reconnect with the ancient homeland and learn about our ancestors that came from there. There have been a number of people like yourself come to the forum over the last few years and I suspect we will have many more with an interest in their highland Livingston or Maclea family connection. At the same time it is my hope that through the joy of livingston family history that they will also find an interest in helping to build the foundations for a fully functioning clan society in the future. In order for a society to survive it needs members. As we now know there are there are many Livingstons and related kin living in Atlantic Canada we may need your assistance at some time in the future to encourage some of those in your region of Canada to becomes members in a Maclea Livingstone Clan society. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta, How are you? Yes we were trying to figure out who that William Lavingston was. He could be a Lavington from the english family. I think at this point we are pretty close to determing that a John Livingston was on the Island in the early 1800's shortly before Donald Livingston in 1806 and that this John Lavingston/ Livingston received Selkirk land from an Edmund Fanning. Subsequent records back up the notion including information in the Silver CHief book that that in the early 1800's that a Donald and John Livingston were the early settlers in the early 1800's on PEI. That being said we still are trying to sort out the significance of this Lavington and whether Lavington was a scottish Livingston or an english Lavington. I am hoping that Barry can get copys of an 1803 and 1806/1809 land record pertaing to a John Livingston of PEI that he has found and that we can sort out with the historical society just who this John Livingston was and who his family was. When we see the original documents we might get some clues. Barry, fortunately lives in PEI and will be able to go to the archives there. regards, Donald
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald; Regarding John Livingstone P.E.I 1806. Our 4th great Grandfather, John Livingstone was born in 1784.
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Barry; Murray River Cemetery Ann Livingston b. 1823, d. Jan. 4 1901 w/o Donald Livingston. Donald Livingston b. 1815, d. Jan. 29, 1901 Catherine (Murdock) Livingston b. 1857, d. 1946 w/o George W. Livingston Annie (Livingstone) Murdock b. 1847, d. May 18, 1927, w/o George Murdock George W. Livingston b. 1860, d. 1941. George M. Livingstone b. Sept. 5, 1916. Irene M. (Beck) Livingstone b. Oct. 22, 1924. w/o George M. Livingstone. Joseph H. Livingstone b. 1886, d. 1973. Lettie (Sharam) Livingstone b. 1893, d. 1991, w/o Joseph H. Livingstone. Since you mentioned Murray River, I thought I would list the Livingston/es I found who are buried in Murray River. Regards; Roberta