Livingston's in New York have connection to PEI (18th century)

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi Roberta It is safe to assume that the Little Sands Cemetery is also more of the same Livingston's. Murray River is very close to Little Sands. There is actually a Livingstone Road in Little Sands. Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Roberta, I would agree with you. Your ancestor was likely in PEI between 1806-1808 and that he arrived as stated in the ship records. What Barry has found is that there was a another John Livingston that received what we believe is Selkirk land from Edmund Fanning in 1803 and a subsequent record from about 1809 that indicates that this John Livingston sold or tranfers the land to a Mr. Cameron. Our understanding is that this land located on Lot 53. We think this John was the father of Alexander, Malcolm and grandfather of Joseph who was later on lot 54.Anyways we have prove that.I am hoping that Barry when he gets some time off work can get down to the PEI archives and see about getting some copies of the original land records and we can see if
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta, This information will no doubt prove to be of great value in establishing families of the early PEI Livingston pioneers. Much appreciated. regards, Donald
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hello Donald; The first permanently settled Scottish Community, on Cape Breton Island was Judique; settled in 1775 by Michael Mor MacDonald.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta, We arent denying the facts regarding your ancestor John Livingston having arrived a PEI and his early settlement at Low Point, Cape Breton, just that there appears to be another John Livingston associated in the early 1800's with Lot 53, PEI and who has a widow and children and grandchild associated with Lot 54 according to what records has Barry has seen. The paper trail in the PEI archives indicates that John Livingston got a hold of land about three years prior to the arrival of your ancestor connected to the Selkirk settlement of that year which was 1803. Barry has found a widow and an Alexander, Malcolm and an apparent grandson Joseph who later ended up on Lot 54 PEI. This family then it seems to be are connected to early settlement on Lot 53 and subsequently Lot 54. But as I said the more we can find out about this Alexander Livingston on LOt 53 or Lot 54 in the 1840's and whom his father was, the more I can say definitely about this pre 1806 settler John Livingston. All I know is there seems to have been a John Livingston who received land in 1803 from an Edmund Fannning on Lot 53 which seems to be connected to 1803 process of depensing Lord Selkirks land which occurred in that year. Hopefully when Barry has a copy of the record in his hand he can get more info from the historical society in his area of PEI to clarify things. regards, Donald regards,
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta, You are indeed recognised at the Maclea Livingstone forum for your deep thinking and insight into Livingston family history. I appreciate very much how you brought to the forefront of the Clan Maclea Livingstone Society the information you have found on your Ancestor John Livingstone, his wife Christy McPhee and helped to generate with your research here