Bonnie Livingston Smith Email

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Thank you, Donald; but I believe I am driven by my determination to find a connection to our John 1784-1859.
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi Roberta and Donald Here is the rest of the puzzle....you may have missed this in the threads here..it's getting kind of long. Hi Everyone I found Duncan and Catherine's marriage record at https://www.novascotiagenealogy.com/Ite ... e&ID=82384 I may need help deciphering it. It is definitely Whycocomagh and the parents are hard to make out. I think it might be Alexander and Jane Livingston - Murdoch and Ann Morrison. They were married July 4th, 1871. Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Roberta, Most of the Livingstones that settled in Atlantic Canada came from Northern Mull with a few others from Fort William, Colonsay etc. It is unlikely that your ancestor came from Fort William. If anything it is the 19th century Fort William Livingstons that originated from Mull or ancestral Livingston heartland of Appin at some point in their history, not the other way around. While I appreciate that some of the pioneer Livingston might have been brothers or cousins even, I am not certain how to proove that.I am trying to locate and establish who were the original pioneer settlers in Nova Scotia and PEI based primarily on whatever original records are available. I am doing this because I believe it will be of some benefit to the Maclea Livingstone Society in the future. That is my primary motivation in collecting data and recording these families on a spreadsheet. Genealogy is secondary in importance to building the foundations of the Maclea Livingstone clan society. regards, Donald
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi everyone Here is a thank you for everyone..... >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> This is very exciting.
Canadian Livingstone

HI Barry, Dr.St. Clair has confirmed that Bonnie Livingston Smith would be a cousin of his through her ancestors Alexander Livingston and his wife Ann of Whycocomaugh, Inverness County, Cape Breton. He is a published author of a number of publications related to Cape Breton family history. regards, Donald
vkadams

Post by vkadams »

Roberta, I haven't posted for awhile but I have been eavesdropping on the forum....always so interesting even when it doesn't pertain to me... Do you have any additional information on this Duncan Liviston & Janet Ferguson? i.e. additional children & their birthdates? The birthdate of 1785 matches my John Livingston (Argyllshire)who the parents of is unknown at this time.
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Virginia; Glad to hear you follow our forum; however as I posted John Liviston--yes it is spelled thusly in the Scottish Records--; he was the son of Duncan Liviston and Janet Ferguson.
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi All Sorry about not getting this typed up. My wife's aunt died and we had to go to the western end of PEI for a couple of days. >>>>>>>>>>>> John Livingston in the thirty years since he came to Montana has found opportunities for the construction career not only as a builder of business structures, but as a factor in the broadening and developing of the interests and resources of his section of the State. HIs home is Judith Basin County, six miles notheast of Geyser. He is a rancher and ranch owner, a building contractor, and has had much to do with the Government and official life of the county. Mr. Livingston was born on Armstrong Street, Jamaica Plain, the City of Boston, November 23, 1877. His grandfather came from Scotland and settled in Canada. The father, Duncan Livingston was born in Canada being one of a family of four sons and one daughter. The only other survivor is his brother Daniel, and both live in Massachusetts. Duncan Livingston in his active career followed the lumber industry, as a mill owner. He is now eighty years old. His wife Datie Morrison, was the daughter of Merdick Morrison, who went from New England to Southern California and became a farmer in the vicinity of San Diego. Mrs. Katie Livingston died many years ag, leaving five sons and three daughters. Alexander, of Providence, RI, Daniel, of Cambridge, Massachusetts, John Merdick of Cambridge, Massachusetts, Anna, who is married and living in Massachusetts, Kate, also married and living in Massachusetts, and Miss Jennie of Boston. John Livingston attended school in Boston, and learned the carpenter's trade there with a prominent firm of builders, Proctor Brothers. He was a journeyman until he came to Montana and for some years afterward. His brother, Alexander Livingston, had preceded him to Montana and had an established business as a coal and brick dealer at Butte. Mr. Jon Livingston arrived at Butte, August 6, 1899, and during the following years was employed as a mechanic by the Amalgamated Copper Company. >>>>>>>>>>>>>Much thanks to Bonnie for sending this to me>>>>>>>>>>>> There is more about John, but I think this is the portion that is relevent to our interests for now. I will do the rest if someone would like it. Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, Sorry to hear about the passing of your relative. Thanks for all this info on the Livingstons. Yes it is pretty amazing what searchable research resources are available for free if one looks on the internet. regards, Donald