Bonnie Livingston Smith Email

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Barry, Which I could make a definite connection to your Livingstons and those James St. Clair has found in Whycocomaugh and Mull River. To my way of thinking your ancestor in the obituary stating as it does that he is connected to Whycocomaugh for me leaves me no doubt your ancestor Colin is a Whycocomagh Livingston. In a place that rural and small how could he not be connected to the Wycocmaugh and therefore the original Mull River Livingstons from Mull, Scotland. Obviously I am not in the position to present definite proof but your ancestors obituary from PEI which mentions his connection to Whycocomaugh cant be a mistake surely. It is not likely there were two different Livingston families at Whycocmagh unless your Colin is related to old widow Kate Livingston and her sister Ann rather than too Ann's husband Alexander Livingston and his older brother John Livingston who i believe died in the 1860's and was old widow Kate Livingstons husband. Remember that not only did Ann Livingston marry a Livinston -Alexander Livingston but that old Kate Livingston who lived over 100 married a John Livingston and lived a Mull River. I have told Dr. St. Clair that I belive that two livingston sisters in fact married two Livingston brothers. While originally theorised that your Colin was a brother of John Jr. of Mull RIver who married old Kate and of Alexander who married Ann parents of Bonnie's ancestor Duncan, it is also possible given the PEI connection of your family that this Colin of yours could a brother of these PEI born sisters. Only problem with that is that I think the Obituary states that Colin was originally from Cape Breton not PEI. In any event he has some connection to Whycocomagh Livingstons presumingly at the very least with the Alexander and Ann that we know lived at Whycocomagh. Wish I could offer you something more tangible but all we have alas our a few clues as to a possible connection.
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi Everyone I found Duncan and Catherine's marriage record at https://www.novascotiagenealogy.com/Ite ... e&ID=82384 I may need help deciphering it. It is definitely Whycocomagh and the parents are hard to make out. I think it might be Alexander and Jane Livingston - Murdoch and Ann Morrison. They were married July 4th, 1871. Barry
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Here is Duncan's Death certificate. He is Alexander and Annie's son. https://www.novascotiagenealogy.com/Ite ... &ID=271905 Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, Well done on that information on Duncan Livingston. I am not sure about the February or July but for sure Duncan was married in 1871. Not sure why there are two different dates, but this happens from time to time. I will let Jim St. Clair know there are two conflicting marriage dates for Duncan and Catharine. Jim may in fact be a cousin of sorts to Bonnie as he was related I think to old Kate of Mull River and her sister Ann who was married to Alexander Livingston of Whycocomagh. I suspect that Jim is in his seventies or eighties as he has been researching Mabou/Mull River/Whycocomagh and other Inverness County, Cape Breton families for about 50 years he told me. And he is related to these Whycocomagh/Mull River Livingstons. Old Kate I think was his great Aunt. His mother went to the funeral I think. She became the subject of local folklore. I dont know that she really was a witch or some local folk just had a fervent imagination. Anyways she sure had some people spooked apparently.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, Dont forget to tell Bonnie that her ancestor Alexander Livingston of Skye Mountain, Whycocomagh,Inverness County, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia father of Duncan was born abt. 1815 probably in Mull, Argyllshire, Scotland not Nova Scotia as I earlier stated and that Alexander's wife Ann was born abt. 1825 or 1826 in Prince Edward Island according to the 1871 Cape BReton, Nova Scotia Census. I also suspect that Alexander is the son of John Livingston Sr. and Catharine or Mary Campbell of Penmore? Mull who arrived in the 1820's at Mull River,Inverness County, Cape Breton not far from Whycocomagh where Alexander later lived. I have no definite proof of this however. It just makes sense based upon the history of the Livingston family in this locality in Inverness County. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hello Chief, I am just glad to be able to make contact with so many our people who are interested in their highland Livingston roots. This is a learning experience for me as well. Through the assistance of Roberta, Jewel, Barry, Dr. St.Clair and others I have learned a great deal about the pioneer Livingstones that settled in Atlantic Canada, which I knew next to nothing about before. Evidently there are still a fair number of our people living in Atlantic Canada, though a significant number with roots in Atlantic Canada are now living in the States. regards, Donald
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald: Nova Scotia Genealogy. com Book 1825, Page 37, #55 Duncan Livingston age 26 s/o Alexander & Ann Livingston Catherine Morrison age 25 d/o Murdock & Jane Morrison entered into marriage February 7, 1871. Witnesses:
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi All I just got my work schedule today. I don't work all day wednesday, so I'll be finally making a trip to the archives again. I should be able to make a day of it. Barry
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Donald, Duncan died; age 91. May 22, 1938.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta, Fantastic. How did you find that so fast? That is amazing! That will no doubt be a big help to Bonnie researching her highland Livingstone ancestors. Way to go. regards, Donald