Malcom Livingston Sr. and Jr, in NS - 1794

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi All Anyone know anything about this Malcolm Livingston in Nova Scotia? RG 1 vol. 444 use NSARM microfilm no. 13580 Name Occupation Location Township County Year Tax Livestock Sheet Livingston, Malcom
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Barry, One of the earliest Livingston settlers in Nova Scotia, Malcolm Livingston came to Nova Scotia around 1792 and settled first at Miromash, Pictou County, Nova Scotia. Later he and his sons are at Cape George, Antigonish County, Nova Scotia. Livingston Cove was named after this family. In the 1841 Census his family were living in Arasaig Township, Antigonish County. There is some notion that Malcolm was a brother of Angus Livingston who settled at Boularderie Island, Cape Breton in 1819 but there is no definite proof of a family connection. regards, Donald
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hello Barry; Livingston, Malcolm
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Ahhh.....ok. Remember Sarah Livingston, the grandmother of Joseph Livingston, had a son in Cape Breton in her will and his name was Malcolm. She divided her land between Joseph and Malcolm. I wonder if there is a relation between these Malcolms? I don't think there were alot of Malcolms this early living in Cape Breton. I wonder which one he is? Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, I dont think one can make connections unless there is evidence of a connection. Donald, John, Dougall, Malcolm, Angus and Neil, were common names for Argyll Livingstones. That being said with so many from Northern Mull settling in Nova Scotia and PEI I would not discount the possibility of kinship among some of the Livingston families. Malcolm of Pictou and later nearby Antigonish County, Nova Scotia may be related to Angus of Boularderie Island, Inverness County, Cape Breton but we really dont have any means to verify this. There are a lot of missing puzzle pieces to these pioneer Livingstones I am afraid. I try to sort out what I can, but some things may be ultimately unknowable. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta, Sorry Merigomish which is near Little Harbor that the 1794 tax records mentioned. regards, Donald
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi Donald I haven't found any Neil and Dougall's yet that hint of been connected and Donald is a possibility. I'm watching and waiting for something to directly connect the Livingstone's of Cape Breton to PEI.....I know it's there and I just have to find it ;-) Barry