Land Petitions in Nova Scotia related to PEI

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi All Here is an interesting search. If you go to the petitions search on this page http://www.gov.ns.ca/nsarm/databases/land/ It lists 162 land petitions with the name "Prince Edward Island". There is a petition in there for a John Cameron who in 1811 requesting land for Scottish settlers coming to PEI and Nova Scotia. It makes for interesting reading. John Cameron is the name that acquired the lot of land in Georgetown from John Lavingston. I wonder if there is a connection. Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Barry, Certainly seems like the same John Cameron. I am still curious about those early Livingston land transactions you found and if someone in PEI can take a look at them and figure out if there is a Selkirk connection to them. regards, Donald
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi Donald I'll have to see what I can do after I get a copy of them. The next Belfast Historical Society meeting is the 28th of this month. I went to school with the curator of the Prince Edward Island Museum and Heritage Foundation. I may be able to get him to have a look at them for me. I haven't seen him since high school and that is a long time ago. Here is a short bio of Boyde. http://www.peibooks.ca/Authors/BoydeBeck.html Barry
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Barry; I have found a posting made by Chris Livingston in February 2002.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, Thanks for that. I think you find some of these folks at the historical society may have some extensive knowledge of the land transactions that occurred in 1803 regarding Lord Selkirks land in PEI and can help us sort out the Edmund Gidding -John Livingston and subsequent John Livingston -John Cameron transactions apparently regarding Lot 53 Kings County. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta, That baptismal record might also be located in the LDS searchable site. That PEI microfiche Chris is talking about is what we have at our public library and that is the LDS records by family. Before the advent of the internet LDS site people went the LDS family history centre or local archives or library and looked through the LDS family microfiche looking for baptism records. That is probably what his father was looking at . Alot of archives including the PEI archives I would imagine have the LDS microfiche. No one else has copied Scottish records to the degree that they have. They have painstakingly gone through every old baptism book in Scotland. So that is I certain the microfiche source. I bet you can find this baptismal entry Roberta by going to familysearch.org
Canadian Livingstone

HI Roberta, I have been sent the Kilninian and Kilmoreoriginal parish book from Mull on microfilm . It is at the library for another week or so. I am hoping to get a chance to look through along with the Appin Parish record sometime next week if I can. regards, Donald
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi Roberta That is great. I will have the whole day there on Wednesday. I think I'm going to have to make a list. Barry