1806 Book on PEI

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Canadian Livingstone

1806 Book on PEI

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

I noticed that there is a book that published in 1806 regarding Prince Edward Island. It mentions that Lot 53 is 1/3 owned by Lord Selkirk and that he settled many people on this lot. Also that regarding settlement in the Georgetown, Kings County area at this time "any person proposing to settle there a application to the
Barry Judson

1806 Book on PEI

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi All Back from a day at the archives. It turns out Malcolm Livingston is actually Capt. Livingston. He was living in Salem, Massachusetts. I found a death announcement for his daughter Sarah Ann Livingston in the US. She died at the age of 3 in 1851, and it said her father is from Cardigan River, which is lot 55. She must be named after Malcolm's mother. I found a power of attorney for Malcolm and it said he was "leaving the Island and will be residing abroad for sometime". The power of attorney is dated 1856. It said he was a resident of Salem, but was on PEI when he signed the document. His attorney that exercised his power of attorney was Daniel Brennan. Malcolm later sold his Mother's property and I found the document saying that it was sold to I think John Green and Josph sold his mother's land to Peter Green. They might have been brothers. Roberta I tried to find the baptism record you are referring to, but I was not able to find it. I am not aware that there were any established churches on PEI in the 1700's. I believe St. John's Presbyterian Church is the oldest church structure on PEI, but there may have been others before this one. All of PEI's baptism records are on index cards and they should have everything that is on microfilm, but I could not find it. I will watch for it next time though. An interesting find I had, but not Livingstone related. I found the doctor's report of the wounded from the Belfast Riot, the original document. It was three pages long. Anything from fractured skulls, broken hands, broken noses, and etc. This was only the serious injuries and it was 3 pages long. I was looking through the personal notes of the Lieutenant Governors fronds when I found this, but did not find anything about Livingstones. I can't find any petitions with Livingstons on them, but the document years are not complete. They only have certain years and I guess the others are lost. I found the inscription on the headstones of John and Margaret Livingston from Belle River. He was from Colonsay and she was from the Isle of Skye. He died at the age of 71 in 1869 and she died in 1903 at the age of 88. They are in a cemetery not far from me. I looked through all of the ship lists they had, but didn't find anything I didn't already know. They had some info from Dr. Jim St. Clair's published information and it listed John and Kate (PEI) Livingstone's two oldest children being born in PEI 1841 and 1844, their names were Duncan and Mary. So John might be on the 1841 census I would think, if they had their own place. I'm going to look. I have ordered the John Livingston documents from 1803, they will call me when they are ready so I can pick them up. I noted on the document where he transferred the land to John Cameron in 1806, it was witnessed by Donald Cameron and another Cameron I didn't write down, but I ordered the document so it will be on it when we get it. I looked through all the Scotland books they had, but I didn't find anything earth shattering. I looked through the microfilm for the lots in Georgetown and John Livingston is
Roberta Ann

1806 Book on PEI

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Barry; Good job, I am not surprised that all this reading gave you a headache. You mentioned, earlier, a Murray and I found this. Isabella Murray widow age 65 born PEI Jane Murray
Barry Judson

1806 Book on PEI

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi Roberta. These were all Joseph's children. If you check the same household in the 1901 and 1911 census the family seems to have moved from the area. I believe there are only 3 left by 1911. Barry
Canadian Livingstone

1806 Book on PEI

Hi Barry, The microfiche baptisms are likely copied "Scotland" Baptism records from the 1700's from the LDS collection. These are as I said available in certain public libraries and Archives throughout Canada I imagine and not exclusive to the PEI archives. We have or had LDS microfiche in the main reference library in Toront0 My understanding is that most of those baptismal parish records from the old Scottish parish books are easily available from their searchable site familysearch.org In any event the other family seems to be looking for John Livingston and Christy McPhee in the lowlands which not likely where John came from I would think. Lets not make Roberta's quest for her ancestor more difficult than it is by looking for John in the lowlands. We have every reason to believe he was a highland Livingston with a connection to Mull and that came to PEI in 1806 boarding a ship in the highlands of Scotland. I looked for Roberta's ancestor in the Kilninian and Kilmore Parish records thinking he might show up in the Presbterian records in this part of Mull that is within the "Staffa" vicinity but I could not find him. That is interesting about Malcolm. Another fork in the research road to check out. I am hoping however trace the Livingstons of Lot 53. Whether John received their lot from Lord Selkirk in 1803 I am not sure, but recall the 1806 book states that Selkirk only owned a 1/4 of the lot so that might explain John receiving land in Lot 53 from the Lieuntenant Governor Edmund Fanning in 1803. I would appreciate any of those early land records on John. I am hoping that sorting out this John Livingston and the livingston land transactions and wills related to Lot 53 will be worth it I think. Hopefully it is not pricey. Joseph states that he is of Scottish descent and was born in PEI. regards, Donald
Barry Judson

1806 Book on PEI

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi Donald No the copies of the Micro fiche records are only 50 cents per page. I have to fill out a form for each document and leave my telephone number and they will call me when they are ready. So we have at least two sons for John....Alexander and Malcolm. I am betting that Joseph is Alexander's son. Maybe Alexander died and that is why Sarah is looking after Joseph. Is it possible this is the same Malcolm that had a land transaction and it stated he was from Cape Breton. The fact that he is a sea captain makes it hard to track him. He might not be home when the census taker was there. I wonder if this is our Malcolm? http://www.immigrantships.net/v9/1800v9 ... 00409.html Barry
Canadian Livingstone

1806 Book on PEI

Hi Barry, Thats a pretty good deal. I dont think that is your Malcolm Livingston. The Livingstons certainly had their far share of nautical people, sailors and boatbuilders I do believe. Looks like their is lots of information at your archives to keep you busy for a lifetime on studying our PEI Livingstones. Maybe the historical society you are involved with can help you to get in touch with other Livingstones in Kings County. regards, Donald
Barry Judson

1806 Book on PEI

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi I had an email from Bonnie Smith, she found a 1850 census document for Malcolm Livingstone. Malcolm - Age 35 - Listed as Mariner Sarah A - Age 28 John M - Age 4 Sarah A - Age 2 (This is the Sarah I found the obituary for, and she dies the following year) I haven't crunched the numbers is this the Sarah we are looking for. Also it is very interesting his son is John. Much thanks to Bonnie Barry
Canadian Livingstone

1806 Book on PEI

Hi Barry, That would be the 1850 U.S Census from Massachusetts I assume? An excellent lead in the search for this Malcolm. regards, Donald
Barry Judson

1806 Book on PEI

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi Donald Correct.....US 1850 census search Barry