Archibald McDonald's Narrative published 1816

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

I Archibald McDonald's Narrative he states that he arrived at REd River with his mostly Sutherlandshire settlers with a few from the Island of Islay on 22nd June 1814 rather than 21st of June as other sources have suggested. As Archibald led this group of settlers I am inclined to think his date is probably is likely more accurate. According to REd River Colony records Charles McLean of Mull is given credit for recruiting both the Mull and Islay settlers with the party that arrived with Owen Keveny in October of 1812, but this does not take into account the recruiting efforts of Archibald McDonald in the highlands in the Spring of 1812. I am suspecting that he may have been actually involved in the Isle of Islay recruiting, but cant prove this as yet. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

The other half of McDonald's settlement group arrived a month later in the latter part of August 1814 at the Red River Settlement having stayed temporarily at Churchill. regards, Donald
edith

Post by edith »

Hi, Donald, I think you mentioned the book, Exile in the Wilderness, about Archibald McDonald. It just happens that Elizabeth Campbell has a review of it in the newsletter for The Lord Selkirk Assn. that just arrived. So I checked the WorldCat, and there is a copy in the library in Portland (OR). I think someday soon I'll climb on the bus or train and go downtown to see about it. Elizabeth says she was surprised, in comparing the book to his own journals, that there was more strife between him and the settlers than she expected. But yet she concludes that he seems to have been well-liked. Have you heard about the new book by J.M. Bumsted, Lord Selkirk: A Life? That is discussed in the new newsletter also. It's quite expensive, so for sure I must wait until a library buys it. Edith
vkadams

Post by vkadams »

You can ask the librarian to purchase the book.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Edith, How are you? Thanks for that latest info from the Selkirk Society. I tried to contact them a few months back regarding joining up myself but was not able to get through. I should probably try again as I very much interested in becoming a member. For some reason I dont think they may have got my e-mail message for information on membership. With your Red River Matheson and Livingston roots you would be right at home in the Selkirk Society.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Virginia, That is a good idea. I think most people that use the public library ignore the fact that you can request the library to acquire certain books you are interested in. I am not certain whether they would make an effort to acquire books out of print. Probably not. MOst of the books I buy are out of print books for my research. But from time to time new titles come around that I find of interest. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Virginia, That is a good idea. I think most people that use the public library ignore the fact that you can request the library to acquire certain books you are interested in. I am not certain whether they would make an effort to acquire books out of print. Probably not. MOst of the books I buy are out of print books for my research. But from time to time new titles come around that I find of interest. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Edith, Archie McDonald was a young man when he taken on by Selkirk to be one of his highland recruiting agents. We know one the principal ones in 1812 was Charles McLean of the Mull McLeans. Archie was very helpful to the Sutherlandshire settlers and showed great leadership qualities in the earliest years of the settlement despite his age and lack of experience. The older more experienced Miles McDonnell the settlement leader seemed to lack leadership qualities and seems to have been on the verge of a nervous breakdown almost from the time he arrived at the settlement. Archie of course went on to have a long and interesting career after the tumultous events that transpired between the Miles McDonnell, the settlers and the North West Company which he was a witness to. I was fortunate to have ordered that book of Jean Murray Cole's on Archibald McDonald of Glencoe as it mentioned that Archibald picked up the Mull and Islay settlers in June of 1812 in the Schooner Staffa. The schooner Staffa is also mentioned in Miles Livingstons June 1812 Isle of Islay marriage record so i have always been curious about this boat and what role it played in the Red RIver Colony story. Thanks to Jean Murray Coles book I know. regards, Donald
edith

Post by edith »

Hi, I understand Jean Cole is a descendant of Archie McDonald. I notice that there is not much new that can be said about Lord Selkirk. Most of the books retell the same story. Their main differences are in their point of view and their attitude toward him and what he was doing. The main library in Portland has a collection of books on the Hudson's Bay Company. Fort Vancouver, across the Columbia River in Washington state, was an HBC fort, so we have a regional interest. It got left far out of its comfort zone when the international line was drawn at the 49th parallel in 1846, so they abandoned it. The US army used it for awhile, and of course it has been a historical site for many years now. It also has HBC literature for sale and in their library. Try www.lordselkirk.ca and look for addresses there. Dues are only 10 dollars Canadian a year. They doubled the dues a few years ago but the newsletters are very interesting now, so I think it is worth it. Edith
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Edith, Thats interesting. I did not know that the author was related to Archibald McDonald. regards, Donald