Paisley/Inveraray Livingstones

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
margaret

Post by margaret »

Hi, I have been looking for the Livingstones in my family for a wee while now and wonder if anyone can join up the dots at all for me! My great-grandfather was called Peter Duncan Livingstone,born 8/3/1878, one of at least 10 children born to Adam Livingstone and Margaret Bulloch.
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Lesley, Alexander, Janet and family are recorded in both the 1841 and 1851 Census residing at Paisley in Renfrewshire, County. In 1841 they are listed as living on Thread St. No. 2 in the Civil Parish of Paisley Low, Renfrewshire. THeir name is spelled in error Liviston so some might miss this entry. In the 1851 Census the family is listed also by mistake as Liringstone and residing in Paisley Abbey, Parish 19 Mill street. Alexander age 63 is a Journeyman nail maker born in Inera,Argyllshire (so your family through ALexander were definitely highland Livingstones) Janet age 41 born Paisley Renfrewshire Adam age 15 apprentice nail maker born Paisley,Renfrewshire Flora age 12 born Paisley,Renfrewshire Barbara age 3 born Paisley, Refrewshire I suspect that Inera in Argyllshire which Alex stated in the 1851 Census as his birthplace is also a spelling mistake. There are lot of spelling mistakes in the old census records regarding the names of parishes. Could that be Inveraray in Argyllshire. Based upon what you said about Alex's parents John Livingston and his mother Bridget Holmes that could be the case. Dont know one way or another whether he had an Isle of Lismore connection. I will check out the 1861 Census regards, Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Lesley, 1871 Census Adam Livingston age 32 nailmaker Cotton St. Paisley Abbey Burg Renfrewshire Margaret age 30),
(Alexander age 4 John age 3 Adam age 1 1881 Census Adam Livingston age 43 Nailmaker Paisley Abbey Parish Renfrewshire, 7 Cotton Street Backland Margaret age 41 Margaret age 16 Alexander age 15 John age 14 Adam age 12 Allan age 9 Charles age 7 William age 4 "Peter" age 3 Francis Joseph age 1 1891 Census Adam Livingston age 54 Lawn Teunis keeper, Paisley Abbey, Renfrewshire 7 Garthland Lane Margaret age 51 John age 23 Adam age 21 Allan age 19 Charles age 17 William age 14 "Peter" age 13 Hope this is some help to your research regards, Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Lesley, Only census I could not locate Adam was the 1861 Census for reasons unknown. Was lucky with the rest. 1901 Scottish Census Adam Livingston age 65 Brass Finisher, Paisley Renfrewshire, 8 Garthland Lane Margaret age 61 William age 24 "Peter" age 22 Thats all folks. regards, Donald
margaret

Post by margaret »

Hi Donald, Thank you very much for this.
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Leslie, Have you checked the OPR's the parish records for Inveraray? I would contain any surviving marriage and baptism records. Assuming as you do that your Adam has a Inveraray connection thats where I would look. On a positive note for anyone looking for their Livingston ancestors in Inveraray and Glenary Parish the baptisms or births apparently date as far back as 1653 and the marriages from 1651. Inveraray was quite bit far east of the Maclea Livingstone ancestral heartland in Western Argyllshire, Lismore, APpin, Morvern, Mull etc but there some Maclea Livingstones there I understand at one time or another. The other thing which I think creates challenges to Maclea Livingstone researchers is the fact that as many Livingstones emigrated to England, North AMerica and Australia other migrated in the highland over the last few centuries. Perhaps from Mull to Movern or Lismore to Appin or Lismore to Inveraray. And unless you are very lucky in finding some of documented evidence of your Livingston families migration you might never now where they originated 200 years or 500 year ago. That is to say where there true origin point was in Western Argyll. Of course if you really want to go far back beyond 1000 years ago our highland Livingstone ancestors were celts living in north of ancient Ireland, though one would be hardpressed to find a census record with your ancestors name that far back I would suspect. Perhaps Adam's father is in the 1841 or 1851 Scottish Census records. I was not sure where to look. Inveraray or elsewhere in Argyllshire Perhaps? regards, Donald
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hello Lesley; This is what I found: Donald Liviston b. Dec. 2, 1775 Adam Liviston b. Jan.1, 1781 James Liviston Feb 12,1783 Stewart Liviston b. June 5, 1785 Alexander Liviston b. Mar. 28, 1789 Parents of these children: John Liviston and Bridget Holms. I didn t look for the marriage, but I assume it was 1775. Lesley, I hope these are the people you are looking for. Best regards; Roberta
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi again Lesley, I didn t mention that all the forgoing children are recorded as being born in Inveraray and Glenaray, Argyll, Scotland. Regards; Roberta
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta, Nice effort. Interestingly Adam was not too common a name for Livingstons in the census records of the 1800's so I had little problem finding the right one. Likewise I think that there cant be too many Adam Livingstons born in the late 1700's in Inveraray so I would think that you and Leslie very likely have found the right person. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta, Are you certain these arent baptismal records extracted from the original parish book? regards, Donald