Beaton Institute, Colin Livingston Inquiry

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi All I am posting the resulting response from the Beaton Institute for my inquiry about Colin Livingstone, in Whycocomagh. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Good morning Mr. Judson: I have searched through our holdings and only found one mention of a Colin Livingstone in our holdings. In the 1861 census for the Whycocomagh area there was a Colin Livingston. However, it was not spelt Colin Livingstone but as "Collen Livingston". Unfortunately, these census only provide the name of the head of household and the number of males and females who reside in the residence. Therefore, the information we could obtain from this census was that Collen was head of household and there were four males and three females in the home. It does not provide any additional information. There were also two other Livingston families listed in this census for this area, Alexander Livingston (5 males and 2 females) and Malcolm Livingston (1 male and 5 females). The 1871 census in the area of Whycocomagh listed one Livingston, Alexander who was 56 at that time. These census also listed the names of the other members of the house. These were Anne (45), Catherine (27), Duncan (25) John (23), Dougall (20), James (16), Donald (7), and another name that was not legible. The 1881 census listed two Livingston families in Whycocomagh: 1.
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Barry, Nice work. I must tell Jim St Clair. So He lived in Whycocomagh just as the obituary stated and then died in PEI with family out there. Now you have proof. So you are a Whycocomagh Livingstone just as we suspected. You must feel good about finding that. I would thank those people at the Beaton Institute. regards, Donald
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi Donald Yes I thanked her. I explained to her that I had not been able to find any proof up to that point. Now I have to figure out the connection between Duncan, Alexander and Colin. I didn't know when they had moved to PEI, but now I know it was between 1861 and 1868. Colin would have been here on PEI a very short time before he died. There must have been a connection to PEI, but I don't know if I will ever find it. If I knew where he was buried that would help the mystery. Barry
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, Well my theory which
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, Not likely much more out there on Colin or Collen unless you can find some land record from his days at Whycocomagh. Collen is likely just a spelling error. Lucky that someone was able to make the connection of Collen Livingston with Colin Livingston otherwise the information might have been overlooked. I was hoping he would be found in the 1861 Nova Scotia Census but was not certain. Glad it worked out for you. I know you were having alot of difficulties with your research. I have kept Dr. St. Clair up to date on your latest finds. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, I assume that Colin of Whycocomagh died in 1867 or whatever the date was in the obituary while visiting or on an extended stay with your great grandfather Angus or the other son (I forget his name) that also lived in County. It may be as simple as that. regards, Donald
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi all, I'm sending this from my phone. Remember that the farm belonged to Colin and catherine and was transferred to Angus in I think 1892. I think the real mystery here is where did catherine disappear to from 1868 to 1892. The only catherine that shows on any of the census documents around his age is old Kate and she was His brother john's wife. She should be on the 1881, 1891, and likely the 1901 census somewhere and she is not anywhere..
Canadian Livingstone

HI Barry, The Duncan Livingston at Whycocomagh would be Alexander's son likely or perhaps a nephew. Unfortunately we dont have access to a detailed 1851 census where I think you would have found brother John Livingston Jr. and his wife old Kate at Mull RIver, brother Colin and brother Alexander residents at Whycocomagh. This I think I am piecing together based upon the information on the family provided to me by you and Dr. St. Clair, though we have no absolute proof of this. Your find of the 1861 Census with Colin as suspected at Whycocomagh, Cape Breton suspects my theory in the past that the information in Colins PEI obituary that he was from Whycocomagh NS is correct and that there is a family connection with Alexander Livingston of Whycocomagh. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Barry, I would think a formal land document signed by Catharine might indicate her place of residence at the time of the land transaction as old land records in Ontario do. MY thinking is that if we can establish from the document her town of village of residence in 1892 or whenever it was she transfered ownership then we might find some sort or record if not census then perhaps cemetery, tax record etc. regards, Donald
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Barry; Catherine Livingston age 75: