Dr David Livingstone

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Jerry

Dr David Livingstone - Scotland Magazine

Post by Jerry »

Sorry, forgot to add the link to the article in the last post. http://www.scotlandmag.com/magazine/iss ... 08211.html
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

An excellent idea, Jerry.
Kevin Livingston

Dr David Livingstone & Australian connections

Post by Kevin Livingston »

Keith Livingstone, Can you please contact me off line at livingsk@bigpond.net.au when you are available. Regards Kevin Livington 03 6229 3500
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

My only concern about a submitted article on highland clan Livingstone is how the author determines what are the facts surrounding the clan history and what are the errors.We are only now after almost 100 years of Highland Livingstone research seriously challenging some of the errors perpetrated by Dr. Carmichael and others. For my own part I have done some writing on the clan history in conjunction with my research on my ancestor Miles of Livingston of Movern (later Isle of Islay) however as I am still going through the research process there wont be a finished product for awhile. I am not sure there is a consensus on what constitutes the history of Clan Maconlea Livingstone and anything I have presented to the clan so far should be understood as only my understanding of the information that is out there and not necessarily 100% proven facts. Such is the historical information of our clan there is always something that is not 100% proven and under dispute. None the less I have made an effort to overcome the challenges and try to clear up some apparent misconceptions. As many of you have no doubt found this is a formidable task and that is why I say it for me anyways it is still very much a work in progress.
Andrew Lancaster4

Post by Andrew Lancaster4 »

I am sure I speak for everyone when I say we are looking forward to seeing the results of your work! Regards Andrew
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Andrew, Well I think the lead I have on the Ballachulish Livingstones to be very interesting, but I feel I am long way determining whether or not Dr. Livingstone's family actually lived for generations prior to the Battle of Culloden in the Ballachulish area, possibly near Lettermore before Ulva and Blantyre. I have a few interesting clues connecting Dr. David Livingstone's grandfather's family to Ballachulish and I wil work with these and see where I can go from there. Some of the folklore surrounding Dr. Livingstone's family obviously contains a generation error and whether all the historic events mentioned connect with Dr. Livingstones kin I cant be certain at this point in time. I do think it interesting how the vague details given by Dr. Livingstone in his 1857 autobiography on his ancestors sound vaguely similiar to the more detailed Ballachulish Livingstone folklore. Whatever I find will hopefully tie in with the DNA research along the way as we move towards better identifying the principal branches of the Maclea-Livingstones. In the mean time we could really use a Scottish relative with easy access to the National Library and archives of Scotland. regards, Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Andrew, Well I think the lead I have on the Ballachulish Livingstones to be very interesting, but I feel I am long way determining whether or not Dr. Livingstone's family actually lived for generations prior to the Battle of Culloden in the Ballachulish area, possibly near Lettermore before Ulva and Blantyre. I have a few interesting clues connecting Dr. David Livingstone's grandfather's family to Ballachulish and I wil work with these and see where I can go from there. Some of the folklore surrounding Dr. Livingstone's family obviously contains a generation error and whether all the historic events mentioned connect with Dr. Livingstones kin I cant be certain at this point in time. I do think it interesting how the vague details given by Dr. Livingstone in his 1857 autobiography on his ancestors sound vaguely similiar to the more detailed Ballachulish Livingstone folklore. Whatever I find will hopefully tie in with the DNA research along the way as we move towards better identifying the principal branches of the Maclea-Livingstones. In the mean time we could really use a Scottish relative with easy access to the National Library and archives of Scotland. regards, Donald
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

Donald wrote: In the mean time we could really use a Scottish relative with easy access to the National Library and archives of Scotland. I respond: I agree there!
Kyle2 MacLea

Post by Kyle2 MacLea »

I have contact the author of the article at Scotland Magazine.
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

I'm sure a very interesting story could be written.