Clee, Clay, and Clea?

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Grant MacLea South

Clee, Clay, and Clea?

Post by Grant MacLea South »

Hello to all on the Forum, Firstly I wish to thank Young Bachuil, for his kind invitation to join you here. In researching my own family, I find Catherine Clee, whom married Charles Ferrie in Ireland. Their daughter Margaret Clee Ferrie married in 1869 in Neilston, Renfew, Scotland. The Clee variant is very rare, and in all of Ireland, is found only in Leck and Raymoghy Parishes in Donegal. I have only today received a report from the ‘Donegal Ancestry Centre’, whom mention; 'The standard surname Clee has other variations including Clay, Klee and Clea', and further, 'names changed from generation to generation, in the same generation and even in the records of the same individual.' In referring to Griffith’s Primary Valuation, we find some of these variants. James Clay- Leck John Clay-   Leck James Clea-Raymoghy Hugh Clee- Raymoghy Hugh Clee- Raymoghy Hugh Clee- Raymoghy Within the Tithe Applotment Books is found. Daniel Clee-Leck James Clee-Leck [James is given as Clay, above] Both Leck and Raymoghy Parishes are found in the Barony of Raphoe North, in Donegal. Further as James of Leck Parish, above, is recorded under both Clay and Clee, I believe this to be proof of the above observation that,  'names changed from generation to generation, in the same generation and even in the records of the same individual.' And as Clee and Clea are found in the same parish of Raymoghy, this gives further proof of the family being originally MacLea. [Clay, Clea, Clee]. I am very excited to have received this new information, which I feel now confirms the origins of this line. I look forward to your replies. Grant South FSA Scot.
Grant MacLea South, Esq.
Hereditary Fletcher of Clan MacLea.
Cadet of Achnacree.
Grant MacLea South

Clee, Clay, and Clea?

Post by Grant MacLea South »

Hello to all! I've not received a reply to my posting above. Could I ask the question, if these names are still viewed historically as septs of Clan MacLea? As I do find in Kith & Kin- Clay being another form of MACLAY under Stewart of Appin and MacKley as MacLea in Black's Surnames of Scotland. And again in Kith & Kin and Black's I see, MACLAY, MACLEY, MACLAE, and MACLEA as MACLEAY. Is this now not considered to be the case? All the best. Grant South
Grant MacLea South, Esq.
Hereditary Fletcher of Clan MacLea.
Cadet of Achnacree.
Bachuil

Clee, Clay, and Clea are part of the Clan McLea

Post by Bachuil »

Dear Grant, I had not replied to your first posting as I was waiting in case someone more knowledgeable than I responded. I cannot answer from a historical perspective, as I have not researched this matter.  However, I can, in my father's name decide to admit or exclude people from the clan. Therefore, for aught yet seen, I am minded to declare that all those with the name of MacClay, MacDonleavy, MacLae, MacLay, MacLea, MacLeay, Makley, M'an-Lei, McClay, M'Dhunleibhe, M'Dunlave, M'Dunslea, M'Inlay, M'Onlave, M'Onlea, M'Onleif, or any variations thereof, whether with or without Mac, Mc or M’ who wish to be considered part of the Noble Clan McLea shall be welcomed within our ranks. Welcome! Niall Livingstone, Younger of Bachuil
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
admin
Site Admin

Please do not post

Post by admin »

I am trying to integrate the old forum - please hold of for a while