Children of John Livingstone b. 1777

A Read-only Archive of the old forum. Many useful messages and lots of family data!
Rob Livingston2

Post by Rob Livingston2 »

Virginia Jamieson has recently forwarded the following information regarding the descendants of John Livingstone, the brother of Neil Livingstone of Ulva and the uncle of Dr. David Livingstone of Blantyre.
Andrew Lancaster4

Post by Andrew Lancaster4 »

Wow John (and Virginia) thanks for that. This looks like the question, which has been a long going one for several people including me, is finally resolved? Any chance that this will finally lead to you getting a DNA line back to the Dr? Regards Andrew
Andrew Lancaster4

Scrap my DNA question. I was too hasty and realise now that there are no male descendents possible from this tree.
Keith Livingstone Australia

McPhail link to Children of John Livingstone b. 1777

Post by Keith Livingstone Australia »

My family has a tradition of cousinship to David Livingstone. I have traced my line back to Angus Livingstone who married a Margaret McPhail. There was a McPhail family in Blantyre that was linked with the doctor's family, with a Catherine Livingstone marrying a Hugh McPhail in 1817.The two families had members who married and migrated to Prince Edward Island as well. Any more info on the McPhail connection at the end of this posting, excerpted from Rob's? 1.
Andrew Lancaster4

McPhail link to Children of John Livingstone b. 1777

Hi Keith Now that Rob's webpage which used to discuss this is down, that of Steve Wilson becomes more important for us all to put in our "favourites":- http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com ... gstone.htm His contact details are also there. Best Regards Andrew
Keith Livingstone Australia

David Livingstone's links to Canada: his Y-DNA still there?

Post by Keith Livingstone Australia »

From one of Rob Livingstone's old pages, it became apparent that John Livingsone, b.1811, Blantyre, David's older brother, was living in Listowell, Ontario, and was an elder in the Presbyterian church there in the 1890's. He had six sons and one daughter. Are there are any Livingstone males out there who descend from his sons Neil, MacKenzie,Henry, John, Charles, or Robert? On the law of averages surely one of these boys had sons. They'll all have the David Livingstone Y-chromosome, won't they? Same with David's younger brother Charles, who died in 1874, leaving a son who was a mining engineer in the States.(Name unknown by me). Further to this, the links of David Livingstone's family to Prince Edward Island, and later on, Ontario, go way back. His father Neil's mother was Mary Morrison, b c.1752. Her brother Hector, b.c 1759, married a Marion McLean in 1787, and had 11 children, of whom 10 were born in Scotland, but the youngest, John, was born on Prince Edward Island in 1812. That whole family seemed to be part of the great Prince Edward Island migration (1806-1810)from Morvern/Mull that involved Livingstones, McPhails, and Morrisons. The oldest child, Laughlin, was born in 1791 in Scotland,and he would have been a first cousin to David's father Neil, born 1788. Laughlin and all his siblings were then brought up on Prince Edward Island. Laughlin married Margaret McKenzie by 1819, and had 9 kids baptized at Flat River, Prince Edward Island between 1819 and 1839.They would all have been Neil's second cousins, and David Livingstone's third cousins. The youngest son of Hector was John Morrison, born 1812 on PEI, and of course he would have been a third cousin almost exactly David's age. But...these guys meant business...and the winters were long and cold...so by the time of David Livingstone's death he had well over 100 3rd cousins of Morrison extraction, and by 1900 over 160 3rd and 4th cousins on that side of the family, on Prince Edward Island alone! Here's the link! http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com ... stone/1752
Andrew Lancaster4

Yes, Canada seems a good place to look for male Livingstones of the Doctor's line. I hope we'll find one one day. Regards Andrew
Mary Hawthorne

Post by Mary Hawthorne »

This is a very interesting read. David and Mary Livingston Jamieson are my Great Great grandparents through their daughter Flora to whom that book was given. In fact I believe my cousin has that book "Psalm of David"
Barry Judson

Post by Barry Judson »

Hi My name is Barry and I live in Flat River, Prince Edward Island. My mother was a Livingstone before she was married and was born in Upton Prince Edward Island. She had brothers who have since had sons. I also lived beside another Livingstone in Flat River who I know and I'm not aware if I am related to him or not. The geneology relating to the Livingstone family on PEI is very sparse and I have not had much success finding someone in our family who has researched our family history. My gandfather's name was John David Livingstone and my brother who died at birth was named after my grandfather, David, and I have since named one of my sons David. Is it possible we are the lineage of David Livingstone. Does anyone have any information on this? Thanks Barry